Keeping track of bushings & drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JRK

How do you keep from mixing up your bushings.

I found this at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...in-Small-Parts-Organizer-THD2015-03/301959984

Thought it might make a good was to store my bushings when not in use. I thought I would make labels to ID the pen kit and drill size needed. Possibly label the container Penn State, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc....

I also found an item home depot, thought it might be good to organize the drill bits. I can't find a link for it at Home Depot.
https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2...way&sprefix=dewalt+small+parts,aps,149&sr=8-5

I kind of want to keep the pen drill separate from my other drills.

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I use something similar but with more compartments. I just started doing that. I try to keep in plastic bags and mark the bags. Another suggestion I read one time which is a good one is use a engraver and either make up a code and have a number system and chart to match numbers. But make multiple copies of the chart because we all misplace things.

Reactions: JRK

greenacres2

Taking a page from the way Turner's Warehouse now packages their bushings, i picked up a supply of these https://www.amazon.com/Philips-13-B...4146&s=gateway&sprefix=13+dram,aps,159&sr=8-4 (purple was the cheapest when i bought mine). Have my label spreadsheet about ready to go, it will have the dimension, drill size and hardware names. Will probably shelf them by drill size or dimension. My spreadsheet can be sorted by hardware name, so easy enough to find the dimensions. Need to get back on that little project!!
earl

JRK

Another thing. I had a problem with a busing stuck on the mandrel (Not CA, but friction polish). I asked the salesman at Rockler and he suggested soaking the mandrel and bushing in DNA.

I was able to the bushing off after soaking in DNA. I noticed a rough spot in the mandrel, and sanded a little to remove the roughness. I have not had that problem since.

Now I soak the bushings in DNA after use.

I am not sure about the plastic these cases are made of, wondering if DNA would attack the plastic.

The harbor freight system would also make a nice container for soaking in DNA as long as the plastic is not ruined by the DNA.

Jerry

Curly

Look for CraftMates Lockables. They have a bar you have to push from the end before you snap open the compartment lid to get the contents out of that compartment. Even if you fumble and drop it while opening it the bar closes back up to lock them so the contents stay inside. No hands and knee work looking for a bunch of lost bushings. Micheals, Amazon and others sell them. Best storage for bushings or any small items.

MRDucks2

Look up:
Storehouse[emoji768] 68238 Toolbox Organizer with 4 Drawers
From Harbor Freight. I like them because of capacity (72) plus the area under lid and the ability to organize by individual case (up to 18 spaces) to pull out what you or move the whole box out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JimB

Whatever system you use one of the most important things to consider is what will happen if you drop it. If it is going to pop open and all your bushings are on the floor then you will have a huge problem finding them and sorting them.

Sly Dog

I started with a 24 space plastic small parts organizer I bought at Joanne's. Then it occurred to me that, being clumsy like I can be, if I drop that organizer I'll have a lot of bushings rolling around my shop floor to pick up and sort.

I had all these small plastic razor holders laying around that come every 3 months from a shave club - they built up last year when I grew an ill-advised beard and was too lazy or forgetful to cancel or reduce my orders. Turned out those things are a perfect size for holding bushings. If I drop one them, I only have 2-4 bushings to pick up. I label them and store them in the shallow drawer of my tool chest. A weird solution perhaps, but it works for me.

Cheers
Russ

Last edited:

sbwertz

I bought a bunch of blanket pins...sort of like big three inch safety pins. I thread the bushings on the pin with a label, and clip them shut. Then I drop the bushings in the bin with the pen kits they go with. This is the only way I have been able to keep bushings from getting lost at the blind center. These are 2" pins. I buy the 3" ones, but it shows what they look like

https://www.amazon.com/Newsfana-12-Pack-Blanket-Pins/dp/B002HJ7DO8

Last edited:
I use Bobbin boxes that you get from Joann's in the sewing section. I take the label off the bushing package and tape it over the compartment for the bushing. Small foot print, inexpensive and I haven't had any trouble with the boxes or getting the bushing mixed up. As for drill bits, I store them in the original metal boxes they come in but in case I get them mixed up I keep a plastic card that has the basic drill bit sizes on them with corresponding holes. If in doubt about the size, I try the bit in the holes until it measures the same.

Missyg15

How do you keep from mixing up your bushings.

I found this at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...in-Small-Parts-Organizer-THD2015-03/301959984

Thought it might make a good was to store my bushings when not in use. I thought I would make labels to ID the pen kit and drill size needed. Possibly label the container Penn State, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc....

I also found an item home depot, thought it might be good to organize the drill bits. I can't find a link for it at Home Depot.

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2...way&sprefix=dewalt+small+parts,aps,149&sr=8-5

I kind of want to keep the pen drill separate from my other drills.

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dhilburn

I designed my own system it is designed to printed on a 3d printed

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_115059.jpg
    IMG_20191020_115059.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20191020_114825.jpg
    IMG_20191020_114825.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20191026_140139.jpg
    IMG_20191026_140139.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 168

greenacres2

Hey Del--welcome aboard!! Got your message that you found the bushing & tube app in the library. Looking forward to seeing the bushing holder in person.
earl

MTViper

When my bushings outgrew the drawer system I bought to hold them, I tried a few other storage and organization methods. Then I hit on something that works best for me. I have a few of the small, plastic ammo cans at Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...lity-cases-ammo-boxes/ammo-dry-box-61451.html). These happen to be about the same width as a pen kit plastic bag. I cut up some construction paper into strips that fit inside the bag and folded it so one side stuck out the top of the bag. When I get a new pen kit, I save one of the bags, put the construction paper inside it, print a label telling what pen it is for and attach it to the construction paper. Then I put the instructions between the folds of the paper and the bushings in the bag. When I'm ready to turn that pen again, I open the box, find the right bushings and pull out the bag. I keep them in alphabetical order so sorting is easier. When I'm done the bushing go back in the bag and the bag goes back in the box. They store easily on the bottom shelf of my work bench and keep things clean and handy.

FGarbrecht

Multicompartment bead storage boxes from craft supply store (Michaels). For my good drill bits I 3d printed grooved trays that go in a drawer. Each groove holds one bit and keeps them from knocking into each other, I use a sharpie to write the size on the groove.

MTViper

I posted earlier (2 above) about how I store my bushings and decided a couple of pictures might make things clearer. So here is one set of bushings in the pen kit plastic bag and the next picture is the ammo box with a bunch of bushings in it.

Bushings01.jpgBushings02.jpg

Top Bottom