KaBoom!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I lost an acrylic blank last night. It was my own fault, I was rushing, let my tool catch the end and it ripped a chunk off the tube. I have a little of it left after cutting to size.. I was toying with the idea of taking that and adding enough contrasting UHMW as an accent, What say you? What would glue UHMW to acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

I'm assuming you are referring to polyethylene, that's all I know that UHMW refers to.

I doubt anything will actually glue it to anything, but one of the special glues made for gluing it to itself (expensive and special procedure) might be worth trying if curiosity is more important than expense.

BTW, if it isn't the polyethylene product what is it?

crokett

I know it as UHMW, that's how I got it from Rockler. It isn't worth trying the expensive glue. It would be cheaper to get a new blank, if I can find one. If UHMW won't work, what might for a contrasting ring colored white? I have some PVC trim, might that work?

crokett

not sure yet. after I ripped the chunk off, I said a few words then quit for the night. I have about 1" of the original blank left. I don't think the missing piece is much longer than that. I will look into the soda bottle cap though - thanks!

frank123

PVC should work. Most plastics except anything polyethelyene or Delrin (Acetyl Resin) will probably work. FWIW, I've glued Delrin using rubberized CA but only on threaded or tight fitting parts where it may be more of a mechanical lock than a bond.

Some things are worth experimenting around with just for the sake of future knowledge even if they don't work or don't work out.

triw51

I would try it and see how it looks. I did something simular with a pen I was making I took that little piece (left from cutting to size) with some red and white space materal. Looked like it belonged there customer though it was a great accent.

TLTHW

Scothchweld Dp810 and an adhesive called E-6000 will both (within limits)glue polyethylene's including HDPE and UHMW. Gluing polyethylene is always iffy as it is designed to resist adhesion of any kind.

Top Bottom