Just ordered my first metal lathe!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I want to thank everyone for the information shared between PM's to help identify the metal lathe needed to start work on my next pen project. At the end of the day it was between the MicroLux 7x16 and the Little Machine Shop High Torque 8.5x16 and it was really difficult to choose between the two. At the end of the day the $600 difference pushed me towards the MicroLux that was $850 before the sale that dropped it to $765. This allowed me to buy some tools and things I'll probably need right away.

84631_R.jpg

Here's the list of what I bought: :biggrin:

-MicroLux 7x16 Mini Lathe
-Deluxe Starter Tooling Set (Includes QCTP, extra tool holders, Carbide tip cutters, cut off tool, Tail Stock, Ball bearing center, and more)
-Dial Indicator with magnetic base
-4 pc center drill set
-Extra tool holders
-Jumbo cut off tool and holder with extra blade
-8 pc HSS tool bit set
-ER25 Collet Set (MT3 Shank)
-Over/Under Chucking Reamer Set
-Knurling Tools both Diamond and Straight
-Some Flitz polish

I still have to buy some good tap and die's and some rod stock. I hope to have everything by next week before I go back to work. Having 30 days off from work to take care of the family with the new baby has been nice, but things are about to get busy at work again so there's no telling when I'll get to play with the new toy.

Again, thanks go out to everyone who took the time to work with me via PM!

Best wishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

So THIS is what you are doing on paternity leave?!?!?!? Good job!!

Not really...it was all the scalloped pens and knife concept pens that took up the leave :biggrin: Now I'm going to be looking for time back home between family and work to try out the toy. I already have a plan in place for what I'll be making so I hope my vision doesn't get pushed too far behind the learning curve. I'll have to ask Fred to come back down and school me:) One thing I know though...I'll have to buy a lot of Bock Nibs:biggrin:

PTownSubbie

So THIS is what you are doing on paternity leave?!?!?!? Good job!!

Not really...it was all the scalloped pens and knife concept pens that took up the leave :biggrin: Now I'm going to be looking for time back home between family and work to try out the toy. I already have a plan in place for what I'll be making so I hope my vision doesn't get pushed too far behind the learning curve. I'll have to ask Fred to come back down and school me:) One thing I know though...I'll have to buy a lot of Bock Nibs:biggrin:

I will do my best! Congrats on the new addition!

D.Oliver

Tim, congratulations. After seeing all of your segmented masterpieces, I can't wait to see what you come up for this machine. I'm envisioning a pen from one metal with scallops and inlays of another metal. Whatever you come up, I'm sure, will have that "Wow" factor.

PenMan1

Terrific, Tim! PLEASE keep us updated as to the pros and cons in penmaking with this lathe (particularly threading abilities).

I have been looking at this exact lathe for some time, but would love to have feedback from users making pens before I make a final decision.

IPD_Mr

Sorry about that...it's a good deal though and they offer an additional 10% if it's your first order with them. I saved a lot!

I saw it and I am lovin it. Honey are you going to have it on order for me before I get home tonight? :present::biggrin::present::biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Tim, we've talked about this and I'm so happy for you to have pulled the trigger, now if only Rick will get his new toy so he can ship me my new toy so I can call you for help...

GoodTurns

maybe now you can make something creative! (if you can't read the sarcasm in that statement, it is because it dripped off the screen!)

wiset1

Terrific, Tim! PLEASE keep us updated as to the pros and cons in penmaking with this lathe (particularly threading abilities).

I have been looking at this exact lathe for some time, but would love to have feedback from users making pens before I make a final decision.

Andy,

I may try the threading option later, but for now I think the plan is to try the tap and die option. When I have more time I'll try my hand at the threading with the lathe. As I start working with it I'll be sure to post some feedback, but never owning a metal lathe prior to this one it may seem a little simple in feedback until I really know what I'm talking about :biggrin:

wiset1

maybe now you can make something creative! (if you can't read the sarcasm in that statement, it is because it dripped off the screen!)

I know right...I can't seem to get anything to turn out right with that stupid wood lather...everything looks segmented and scalloped :biggrin: I know I'm going to make a mess with this new lathe...can't wait to see what I break first...the machine or my spirit working around the learning curve :)

wiset1

Tim, we've talked about this and I'm so happy for you to have pulled the trigger, now if only Rick will get his new toy so he can ship me my new toy so I can call you for help...

:wink: As I learn I'll be sure to PM you

Rolland

This is the worst thing you could have done, now you will need a milling machine and all the tooling for that. What have you done:tongue:
Other wise congrads I don't know how I could make it with out a metal lathe and mill and etc.......

wiset1

My wife says as soon as my work space fills up I'm done getting tools. What she's not thinking of is that I have the tools to make more space for more tools! A mill might be on the list for later, but I want a 5 axis! Too many ideas and not enough time or money ;-)

scotian12

Tim..Congratulations on the new lathe. We will look forward to your new creations. Please don't get so far advanced that those of us with a wood lathe can not follow in your path. Darrell

wiset1

I'm sure I'll trip enough along the way so that everyone will be able to catch up. :)

wiset1

Nice going Tim! That's real close to the one I have, and you're going to love it.

It has a bit more room than the 14 and a little more hp so I imagine shallow passes will cut anything I need without getting too agressive. I'll be starting with stock near the diameter I want anyway so I've got my fingers crossed for the best and the tools should help as well :biggrin: Can't wait to get my hands dirty!

wiset1

Congratulations! Don't forget the die holder and a tap guide if you don't have them already.

Mike

I've already made the contact for the die holders, but I still need a good strong tap and die set with drill bits or at least a couple of good triple start ones for a key size I plan to make and that's that part I'm lost on. I'm sure I'll be asking that question here soon enough :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Congratulations! Don't forget the die holder and a tap guide if you don't have them already.

Mike

I've already made the contact for the die holders, but I still need a good strong tap and die set with drill bits or at least a couple of good triple start ones for a key size I plan to make and that's that part I'm lost on. I'm sure I'll be asking that question here soon enough :biggrin:
Tim, here they are.....10mm, 12mm and 14mm. Mike Redburn can point you in the right direction. Also Indy-Pen-Dance is stocking SOME of them, or will be soon. Great to see you making this leap, and look forward to seeing what you develop from it.

wiset1

Mike

Tim, here they are.....10mm, 12mm and 14mm. Mike Redburn can point you in the right direction. Also Indy-Pen-Dance is stocking SOME of them, or will be soon. Great to see you making this leap, and look forward to seeing what you develop from it.

Thanks Chuck...I'll PM Mike about it and see what IPD has. I like the size of the Majestic pens I've been doing and hope to keep that scale up when working on the metal lathe so I'll have to see what can be done and if those sizes reflect across the board to the size and thread of the larger kits like the Emperor, Statesman, and Majestic.

Top Bottom