Just no escaping it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Having worked around Virginia's General Assembly most of my career, I detest politics and politicians so I have studiously avoided anything that has to do with the current presidential race. So imagine my chagrin when my inherited John Deere Sabre lawn tractor decided to declare its political allegiance this morning. On three separate occasions it simply died while making a left turn. Each time it started right back up and took off. I cannot find any loose wires or anything that would seem to be affected by a left turn, it made numerous turns without dying. Any one out there with any idea as to what it might be?

I usually keep this lawn tractor at my late mother-in-laws place to cut her grass until we sell her place but my temporary repairs to my grey market tractor gave out so L now have to bite the bullet and pay a lot for the parts for a permanent fix or get a new one. Turns out that you cannot fix everything permanently with duct tape, coat hangers, epoxy and a hammer,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I had one of those lawn tractors years ago. The first day I had it, it was new, it died on the first left turn I made. Sound familiar? They came out to the house a fixed it in a few minutes.

There was a wire under the hood near the steering column. It got caught on the column and pulled loose when turning. They moved the wires and attached them away from the steering column. Maybe yours is doing something similar but just moving it rather than completely pulling it off.

If your engine is gravity feed, may be just being starved for fuel on a left turn... I think Jim's explanation is more feasible, but I have a 10 or 12 year old Troy-Bilt that I had worked on and the oil changed... every time I would make a left turn on a hill where the left front wheel was down hill, I would get a huge puff of oil smoke... it eventually stopped but gave me the willies first few times it happened. seems they had overfilled my crank case and the oil would run out on to the engine due to the downhill turn.

mecompco

Simply steer towards the right. Ha ha, well, I can't even get my daughter to do that. Seriously, hope you get it figured out.

Regards,
Michael

Cwalker935

I had one of those lawn tractors years ago. The first day I had it, it was new, it died on the first left turn I made. Sound familiar? They came out to the house a fixed it in a few minutes.

There was a wire under the hood near the steering column. It got caught on the column and pulled loose when turning. They moved the wires and attached them away from the steering column. Maybe yours is doing something similar but just moving it rather than completely pulling it off.

I check that out, thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom