Just don't understand people I guess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

Saw a post from a fellow penturner. Health issues were going to have him sell out and stop his hobby. Lots of people advised him to hand in - I told her I'd send him blanks and kits to keep him going for awhile.
Sent out the kits and blanks and they are now for sale online by same individual.
Really makes you wonder, and unfortunately, I'll probably think twice before helping again. Damn, I didn't want to feel this way :-(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Sue, You gave freely as you felt moved to do so. I know this isn't the expected outcome and it stings. It would have been nice if they didn't want then to simply send them back and say thanks or donate them to a worthy cause.
No one has control over what someone else chooses to do. I hope after the sting wears off, you can let it go.

A similar example was that I carved spoons for family members for Christmas. Some we saw in January at a get together. We gave a spoon to the wife and expecting she and or her husband to open it. Instead, she gave it to their 3 year old to open and then the girl was running around with the nicely carved and sanded spoon.....not what we expected.
My wife said....let it go.....their choice.
My thought is that the kid needs to learn that every present is not for her and that mom and dad can receive and open gifts too.
Oh well....

Woodchipper

Had a couple when I was in seminary who were having some financial problems. The wife and I gave them a small amount to help. Next week they called and wanted to go out to eat! As for the fellow in question, maybe selling the pens will help with medical bills and medication.

Terredax

Banned
Had a couple when I was in seminary who were having some financial problems. The wife and I gave them a small amount to help. Next week they called and wanted to go out to eat!

I would consider this as a gesture of thankfulness and appreciation. I personally, am uncomfortable when someone offers to help me in any situation, especially financially. My problems, aren't someone else's problems, and shouldn't become a burden to them.

MDWine

I gave a Jet mini-lathe to a young fellow found on IAP, he posted once or twice, but I have no idea whether or not he is using the lathe or not.

I felt the way you do, but I figured I did my part to pass along a good fortune.

Feel good that you did your part, God will take care of the rest! ;)

WriteON

Saw a post from a fellow penturner. Health issues were going to have him sell out and stop his hobby. Lots of people advised him to hand in - I told her I'd send him blanks and kits to keep him going for awhile.
Sent out the kits and blanks and they are now for sale online by same individual.
Really makes you wonder, and unfortunately, I'll probably think twice before helping again. Damn, I didn't want to feel this way :-(

May they get stuck in traffic with stomach cramps. Feel good about doing your part. Stay guarded from now on. I do. Next time someone wants to sell out...let them. If they need help there are ways. The key word is Honestly. I'll always do my best to help if they are honest about what is happening. Giving is one thing...being suckered is another.

Last edited:

WriteON

Everyone is trying to make you feel better however it's still wrong. You gave a finger and they took the hand. It's easy for others to say you did right and feel good about it. Would have been better taste if they asked is it ok to sell or can we return or pay it forward. I'd respect that.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I expect the best and prepare for the worst!

I work in a heavy generational poverty area that crosses ethnic lines. We had a clothes give-away center for years, allowing people to come in quarterly and get 5 outfits of clothing per person in their family. We gave away a weeks worth of basic groceries to burn-outs (house fire victims), tornado victims and to all at Christmas time. (There was a certification process, but not complicated).

One year, we gave the food and clothes away to one family new to us. Then the next week we got a call from one of our supporting churches wondering why we refused to give food or clothes to the family in such need. I asked the lady at the church to hold on while I went into an assistants office. From there I picked up the phone and read off the names of the family and children (and their ages) and how many clothes they each got the week before and described the 7 large paper bags of groceries. The lady apologized profusely and said that they had been "taken"!

That happens, but it did not stop us from giving.

Last edited:

DennisM

Sue, I hope this isnt referring to me, as I have not listed any of them for sale, aside from completed pens, (which I attempt to sell to replenish the hobby). Iff by attempting to sell the completed ones offended you, I do offer my apology.

That package was a amazing gesture and it put my mind back in the right place, in more ways then just turning again.

I have although just sent a PM to a turner here looking for those kits, since they are not in-stock and told him to only cover shipping if he wants them, in keeping with the pay it forward goal always!

Top Bottom