Just curious thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Pen turning is the most fun a person can have with their clothes on. I don't collect pens yet I have a collection. I don't sell them and can only display x amount. I'm not quite sure what I'm saving them for but not really concerned. I make one and go to the next one. I made stoppers. Have given a few away and kept the rest. I went onto rings... made about 10... gave them away and kept 4 for myself. Joint protectors for pool cues... have too many. Made about 15 Canes ...might start again. Back to pens for now. Have not done any advanced pen turning but might. I hope my wife does not take everything and leave... I'll miss my stuff. I do not see a finish line. This is too much fun. Unlimited creativity. I have more kits and blanks on hand that brains or hair. I need help but nothing new. I'm just curious. If you do not sell your pens what exactly do you do with them other than give a few away. No point to this thread ....please tell me I'm not alone. When is the next hoarders meeting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

My collections just keeps growing. I too have way more wood than I will ever use - and way more pens than I ought to have. I just keep challenging myself to make more complicated segments to limit the growth of my collection. But then I look at my blank pile (well, blank boxes...) and see a beautiful piece of wood and am sorely tempted to just turn it to show off its beauty. You are not alone!

You used my favorite line in your opening sentence .... :D ..

I quit doing pens years ago, just got bored with them, but now have about 30 pepper mills and I don't know how many bowls.... I do try to sell a few and have an ETSY store, but with things as they are now, sales are very slow... so what am I going to do with 30 or so pepper mills and half a truck load of bowls???

grpass

Pen turning is the most fun a person can have with their clothes on. I don't collect pens yet I have a collection. I don't sell them and can only display x amount. I'm not quite sure what I'm saving them for but not really concerned. I make one and go to the next one. I made stoppers. Have given a few away and kept the rest. I went onto rings... made about 10... gave them away and kept 4 for myself. Joint protectors for pool cues... have too many. Made about 15 Canes ...might start again. Back to pens for now. Have not done any advanced pen turning but might. I hope my wife does not take everything and leave... I'll miss my stuff. I do not see a finish line. This is too much fun. Unlimited creativity. I have more kits and blanks on hand that brains or hair. I need help but nothing new. I'm just curious. If you do not sell your pens what exactly do you do with them other than give a few away. No point to this thread ....please tell me I'm not alone. When is the next hoarders meeting.
Same as the others, enjoy making them. Give a few away. Good news, they are an inexpensive hobby and don't take up much room.

Kenny Durrant

I get where your coming from. I'm a little different as I do sell a few. I don't sell them to make money I sell them to help support my habit, I mean hobby. I sell a few through some friends Etsy accounts. When I collect money from friends it's to recoup cost for materials. The only time I ask for reimbursement is if they want expensive hardware or several items. Like you I give quite a few away to friends or charities. I also have 3 cigar boxes full of my first of something or from something special I collected. When the boxes get to the point you can't see the bottom I'll go through them again and give them away. Now that I have several friends that turn I have just as much fun casting blanks for them and can do it in my hobby room / spare bedroom. It's never too hot or cold and I can dress however I feel the need.

jttheclockman

I have to confess, I do not find this fun any more but do it just to pass time. being retired everyone needs a hobby to keep the mind in tact. But when I first started I thought it was the coolest thing to do after my scrolling but over the years it is just that a hobby and time passer. same goes for my scrolling. I do get bored quickly and thus can not make more than one pen of a kind. How people do this for a living is beyond me. To make the same pens over and over would drive me crazy. I give alot of stuff away and yes I do a craft show now and then and sell a few things but nothing like when I started. So when I pass on the next people will need to get rid of this stuff. So for now I try to keep the mind working.

WriteON

The day begins. I have no plan as to what I'm going to work on. I'm expecting a few kits today. (Tactical Pens). Not sure
where to start .. can't decide without coffee. I need more finished pens like a snail needs air brakes. I'm sitting on over 100. But hey... what's a few more. I had fun in my community. We have a FB page. People would post their lot#. If it came up straight on the daily lottery (evening pick) they won a pen. It was fun. Every feel like you're the Santa Clause of pens? Sometimes I do. Maybe I'll make a Red & White with real beard.

MTViper

I have more logs drying, pen kits, pen blanks, bowl blanks, and lumber I can slice into pen blanks or laminate into bowl blanks than I can ever use. That's ok. I'm on a mission this year to make a dent in my stash. We'll see how that goes.

I've sold a few, given away a lot, and kept the ones I really like. I rotate them through to use them all. I donate to charity auctions for groups I support or for gifts for vets. I'm headed out to my shop this morning to make some "Thank You For Your Service" pens (Exotic Blanks) with doctor and nurse related blanks that I asked m4skinner, who is a member here, to make for me. Will get pictures when I'm done.

I'm going to keep making pens, bowls, peppermills, candle holders, and whatever else I can come up with because I enjoy them all. Oh yeah have turned 40-50 sets of PSI measuring spoons and 15 or so sets of their measuring cups. Sold just enough to pay for the ones I gave away.

Enjoy.

Top Bottom