Just a wood Duck Call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EBorraga

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Wood, did you say wood!! HRB to be exact with a matte finish.

Looks like I need to clean the sawdust off of it :eek:

It's an Echo Call insert and 6 coats of poly.

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0184.jpg
    DSC_0184.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MiteyF

At first I thought you meant a call for a wood duck, and I thought "gee, never seen anybody turn a wood duck call before!" I should have known better.

I've done a few of these (good fun) but have had real hit or miss luck with the echo inserts. I'd love to make my own inserts, but even a production toneboard jig is quite expensive for the hobby turner.

Also, may I suggest a band to keep the call from splitting? I order from this guy http://www.gouldscustomcalls.com/ nice rings at pretty decent prices, and he'll do custom work if you order more than a few.

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
At first I thought you meant a call for a wood duck, and I thought "gee, never seen anybody turn a wood duck call before!" I should have known better.

I've done a few of these (good fun) but have had real hit or miss luck with the echo inserts. I'd love to make my own inserts, but even a production toneboard jig is quite expensive for the hobby turner.

Also, may I suggest a band to keep the call from splitting? I order from this guy Home nice rings at pretty decent prices, and he'll do custom work if you order more than a few.

I'm hit or miss on the band. Can't decide which way I like. But use an echo call. In the process of having a reed jig made. Yes, they are expensive, but i've sold quite a few of the echo style calls and only way to get good money is with custom insert.

MiteyF

Who is making your jig if you don't mind me asking? Have you tried any of the public jigs available from Pintail, Webfoot, RM etc? I've been planning on picking one up, but since I don't sell my calls, I'm afraid it would be a big heavy chunk of coin sitting in the toolbox with only occasional use. That said, I really don't care for the trial and error required to get a good sounding echo insert. Some are surprisingly good, some I can't tune for the life of me.

Edit: on the bands, I've seen old wood barrels crack from typical (even light) use. I wouldn't sell a wood call without a band for fear of an unhappy customer coming back complaining of a cracked barrel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom