Just a quick intro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stubach

Hello all, been lurking for a while but finally bit the bullet this morning and joined. Looking forward to learning from you all.

Im a youngish professional with two little ones (2 and 4) living in Mid-Michigan. Have been dabbling with wood working for years but also dabble in gunsmithing, reloading, and casting.

Started pen turning last year when wife saw that it was an option and she loves pens so she wanted some custom pens. Picked up a Rockler Starter kit and Excelsior lathe and have been hooked ever since. Wife even insisted I order a WoodPeck 50 mixed blank bundle when it was on sale so I've been working through those as time permits.

Got into pressure casting my own resin blanks and am starting to play with hybrid blanks. That's a ton of fun. My 4 year old loves going in the shop and casting resin with me.

Thus far I've turned some slimlines, cigar/Cubans, vortex, and vortex magnetic cap pens and pencils. Have a couple other new types in the drawer ready to turn when I have a chance including some classic fountain pens (just cause).

Photos below are some of my nicer ones I've done. The two pack of resin Cubans I actually made the blanks as well as turned the pens.
A00D752C-4860-4DD8-A7ED-4F784320230D.jpegA685097B-282F-4008-B5C4-A639831AD72B.jpegA16249E4-A756-4E20-BA0F-4F779A04DE62.jpeg5C5A4244-B84D-4360-B708-77A9713812C9.jpeg7FA910E6-7E5A-4289-B277-D433C10EE915.jpeg

Attachments

• E757337B-F349-41B9-AE93-AC52173F9B07.jpeg
    E757337B-F349-41B9-AE93-AC52173F9B07.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0604.MP4
    650.7 KB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. I really like the way you present your pens along with the bit of cutoff from the blank material. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. - Dave

magpens

Hi Stu ! ! . . Warm welcome to IAP ! ! . . 😀 . 😀

Thanks for showing your pens . . . . Great Stuff ! ! . . Keep up the good work ! !

Stubach

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. I really like the way you present your pens along with the bit of cutoff from the blank material. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. - Dave
Yeah, I'm still in the gift phase of my turning so it's fun to give the cutoff with the pen so they see how it started out. also reminds me of what the resin blank started out looking like if I want/need to replicate it if it's a resin blank.

Stubach

Welcome to the forums from Colorado! That wood cigar is great...is that Katalox?
I believe so. The box of blanks I got was a random assortment of exotics so I had to guess at what everything was from the list of possible options and that seems the most likely. A few I'm still a little unsure about so used best guess.

Welcome. From mid-Michigan as well, just west of Lansing.
I'm actually just east of East Lansing myself 🤣

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This seems like a very tight group of guys which is the kind of forum I enjoy being a part of.

jrista

I believe so. The box of blanks I got was a random assortment of exotics so I had to guess at what everything was from the list of possible options and that seems the most likely. A few I'm still a little unsure about so used best guess.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. This seems like a very tight group of guys which is the kind of forum I enjoy being a part of.

Yeah, I've had a few of those random assortments. ;) I have a good number of pens I have no idea what type of wood was used. That is something I really need to get better at...cataloging my blanks so I know what's what, and can properly label my pens once I get them up for sale.

Top Bottom