Just a bit of Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Another Brass insert and a CC. I quite like working with Brass for all its problems but I have some Aluminium on order and want to combine the two.
A note gluing and drilling I have modified the point on my drill and used my new expensive Epoxy and still had separation on drilling. When this happens I re-glue with CA Thick and every time it holds.
I am a little confused does it mean CA is better holding metal to wood than Epoxy.
Please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• 20211217_133429~2.jpg
    20211217_133429~2.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20211217_133419~2.jpg
    20211217_133419~2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kcimdrib

Looks very good ! ! !

What pen kit did you use ?
Mal ita a Samsara from UK Pen Blanks.
ukpenblanks.co.uk
They also trade as Greenvill Crafts.
It's a well made kit very positive twist mechanism.
Thanks for your comments.
Mike

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like the rings! Maybe when you get the aluminum you can try a 3-ply sandwich ring (Al/B/AL; B/AL/B). Will test your CA/Epoxy technique.

I prefer epoxy (well cured - 24 hr) for metal/metal or metal/wood. I have issues when I drill through and heat loosens the bond. This is why I drill all my rings separately and glue onto the tube, layer by layer and clamp.

Very nice pens! 👏 👏 👏

Kcimdrib

I like the rings! Maybe when you get the aluminum you can try a 3-ply sandwich ring (Al/B/AL; B/AL/B). Will test your CA/Epoxy technique.

I prefer epoxy (well cured - 24 hr) for metal/metal or metal/wood. I have issues when I drill through and heat loosens the bond. This is why I drill all my rings separately and glue onto the tube, layer by layer and clamp.

Very nice pens! 👏 👏 👏
Mark
Thank you for your comments I think that metal does not absorb the Epoxy / CA and this makes for a bad bond. I am careful not to generate heat but still get a breakaway and when you examine the break you can see there is no adhesion.
I like your suggestion for a 3 ply sandwich. Also pre drilling the metal but I don't have a Bench Drill all my drilling is done on the Lathe.
Thanks again Mike.

Top Bottom