Junk Cars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I will Try to keep this short. My sister has 3 junk cars on her property that she wants to get rid of and maybe make a few $$$ as scrap. She lives in NJ and know maybe laws are different in other states but trying to get a feeling of what to do. She has the titles to 2 of them but not the third. If you are selling for scrap do you need the titles and if so do you need to sign them over?? What are other pitfalls to watch out for such as scams or future legal things. Do not want any followup to come back to her. Thanks. Any questions I will try to answer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

In New Mexico the scrap dealer wanted the title when I scraped my old Camry.
DMV should be able to answer your questions as well as calling a scrap yard.
I would think each state has its own set of goofy rules.
I remember in NY , I had to also turn my old plates in to DMV.

Larryreitz

Here in eastern CT there is a auto parts yard that regularly advertises on TV to buy junk cars. I would be surprised if NJ didn't have something similar. You might also give Kars for Kids a try. You will likely need to sign over the title. Beyond that if they are really bad you might just have to call a junk yard and then even pay to get it removed. Hope this helps a little.

I tried to buy an old jeep out here in Texas recently. It had been abandoned 4 years ago and towed to a service station where it has stayed. The station owner has it running, but no title. No state has a record of it ever being titled in their state - which means it has bee over 5 years since it has been titled or registered anywhere. Legally, the station owner cannot even sell it for parts. He has to have a title to sell it, junk it, or do anything. A bonded title (reconstructed) can get very expensive and takes a long time to clear.
Needless to say I have given up on buying this jeep!
Good luck getting rid of yours.

While I was still living in the Houston area, I had a 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta (Which I wish I still had)... I needed to pick up something for my son to drive as a grad gift, so took the Alfetta to a local dealer to trade... I had had the Alfetta 13 years on a lease out of California... the lease company went out of business, supposedly sold my lease to some charity that would never answer me as to where my title was.. I told the local dealer I had no title and explained the situation... the sales person said not to worry, they would take the car to Louisiana and title it there..
I traded and have never heard from the Alfetta since.

Top Bottom