June 18th, 2016

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

As discussed at the March Meeting(awesome turn-out), the next meeting date is going to be the 18th of June. Start time and location is pending.

Start thinking about a demo(s) you'd like to see.....

Scott (still working on the video that was shot) B

BSea

The meeting is going to be at Ken's place in NLR on the 18th (his wife gave him permission :biggrin:). There will be another kitless demo. This one should actually have some turning involved. My intention was to do some actual threading this last meeting, but we were running out of time.

Last edited:

BJohn

Good Deal

We have the date marked on the calendar. As mentioned last weeks was awesome. Bob as time approaches some of us will need Ken's address.

Last edited:

SDB777

Maybe I'll have a chance to do the 4450+ photo/time lapse processing on Sunday afternoon while it's raining?

I'll be pouring micarta scales Saturday, looking at some trees that need to be removed at two customer locations, and then arranging the labor to drop, mill, and transport the timber out!

Still need to make some RM723 bowls, at least the wood has already been run through the planer, drilled, and rough rounded. So the 'tuit list' is growing....and surgery is six days out.

Good news....at least I'll be healed up next meeting!

Scott (sleeping dog on floor farting alert) B

BSea

I talked with Ken last night. He's not big on posting in forums, so I'll give out some meeting info.

He's thinking his wife will do all the cooking, so unless things change, he's asking people to NOT bring anything for the meal. (do things ever change?:rolleyes:)

Also, as of now, he doesn't have a collet chuck. His spindle is 1 X 8. My collet is for a 1.25 X 8, and won't work for his lathe. We'll need a collet chuck for the kitless demo. Does anyone who plans on coming have a collet chuck that will fit his lathe? Most 10" & 12" lathes have a 1 X 8 spindle.

As far as his address, I'll send out an e-mail when we get closer to the meeting with directions to his house.

Shawn almost guaranteed he'd make this next meeting. If so, he'll do the demo on a section. If he doesn't come, maybe I'll attempt it, or just work on a barrel or cap. But we will continue to do some kitless demos till we cover all parts of making a fountain pen.

We do need another demo. It can be on the use of a tool, or something for a modified pen. Just about anything. If you've come to meetings, but never have done a demo, think about joining in the fun. You too can be the star of a 15 minute YouTube video. :biggrin:

BSea

I can bring my collet chuck and collets. SAE version.
That's great Freddie. Do you have a complete set of collets? If not, my metric set covers everything from 3 to 20mm. And if 3/4" is your largest, let me know. I'll at least bring my larger sizes above 3/4".

Last edited:

DLGunn

On the demos, maybe some folks could reply here with what type of demo they would like to see.

I have a couple in mind, a segmenting demo to make the pen in the photo below. That would most likely require a table saw (at least for the way I do it). The demo could still be done, just skip the "here's how you cut it part."

Decal/stamp casting with clear PR is one I would love to see. This might be better set up at Scott or Bob's shop though.

Attachments

• JrGentsegmented1.jpg
    JrGentsegmented1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 229

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I have the full set plus one just a tad larger than 3/4.
If you had rather use the metric collets I will just bring the chuck. Just let me know.

I can bring my collet chuck and collets. SAE version.
That's great Freddie. Do you have a complete set of collets? If not, my metric set covers everything from 3 to 20mm. And if 3/4" is your largest, let me know. I'll at least bring my larger sizes above 3/4".

BSea

On the demos, maybe some folks could reply here with what type of demo they would like to see.

I have a couple in mind, a segmenting demo to make the pen in the photo below. That would most likely require a table saw (at least for the way I do it). The demo could still be done, just skip the "here's how you cut it part."

Decal/stamp casting with clear PR is one I would love to see. This might be better set up at Scott or Bob's shop though.
I'd like to see how to do one of those segmented blanks. I've looked at the tutorial, but never tried it myself.

As far as doing a stamp casting, it isn't to hard. Just understand that there won't be a finished blank at the meeting. But I think it would be easy to have one unturned from the mold to show what will come out. And if it's a Sierra, I think we could show how stamps are put on, pour the prepared blank (not the one we just glued up), and turn finished blank all within an hour or maybe an hour & a half. I've done a couple of stamp pens for friends. It isn't hard, and if anyone wants to do this type of casting, there isn't much of a learning curve.

SDB777

I could always bring the slow speed grinder and 'demo' sharpening? That would only require anyone coming to bring a dull turning tool....or two(just don't bring twenty).{figured I'd add that the grinder doesn't sharpen carbide}

Not sure I have anything but the tube molds for casting stamps anymore....it's been soon long since I've done it.

Scott (another day pouring) B

SDB777

Recommend demo on honing using diamond plate. (For skews and carbides)

I just gave a new turner in Jacksonville my carbide turning tool....not the big one for bowls, but that little one that bents really easy(I bent it back and told him it's for just the little stuff).

I know I could use some help sharpening the bigger round cutter. Seems I sharpen it and thirty seconds later it's dull(so I grab an HSS and finish the next three hours of turning).

Scott (I can feel my leg again) B

SDB777

glad you leg is working. On the round carbide cutter, at SWAT they were using a diamond stone to sharpen them.

I found the video on sharpening the cutter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZzjPbTTyYc and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZBK7wN9UI

I use a diamond stone. But the carbide just dulls quicker then the HSS tooling(same wood...so it's not an apple to orange comparison). By dulling, I mean I can remove five times the wood with HSS over carbide using the same felt effort.
I'll probably just sell off the carbide stuff, and stick to the conventional tooling that 'works' better for me....I'm not very patient with dull tooling.

Plan on Scott bring his sharpening system. With the following disclaimer: I will sharpen one chisel from each person that brings one.....anymore sharpening per person will cost ya!

Scott (demo king:biggrin:, no video:eek:) B

Collets:

I just got some metric collets off E-Bay but the chuck is coming from somewhere in Figi, Tiawan, Malawi...who knows & it is has a #2 MT. It is supposed to be here by May! The collets I ordered are ER32. I have a Wood River set that fits a 1"-8 spindle but they are not the ER32.....maybe between all of us we can find something that will work!

Attachments

• COLLETS.JPG
    COLLETS.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 241
OOPS!

I got to thinking (which in itself is a a scary endeavor) & usually get a headache afterwards, but I went & found the Wood River Collet set & then remembered that it was also a #2 MT! I will probably have it for sale if my collet chuck for the metric set ever gets here...I am an avid hoarder of unusual tools & I need to sell some of this stuff before my demise...if my wife sells this stuff at a yard sale! I mean can you just see a yard sale where someone has never seen a lathe much less a collet set says, "I wonder what these things are" but $5 don't seem like a bad price...lol

Attachments

• WoodRiver.JPG
    WoodRiver.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 238
Two bad collet chucks...what a coincidence!

Well I finally got my collett chuck from across the waters. It was rather inexpensive and has a #2 MT and fits the ER32 collets! Or I should say the ER32 collets almost fit the chuck! I could not get the nut to tighten down on the collet properly and soon discover that there was ring of metal inside the nut that had not been machined properly & I didn't want to go thru the hassle of sending it back so I took it to a local machine shop and they cut the ring out!
I had also ordered the collet set from PSI that was threaded 1" x 8 and when it came in yesterday....guess what....the nut would not tighten down on the collets either! Yes, there was another ring in the nut that had not been machine all the way & would not allow the nut to tighten down on the the taper of the collets! So, back to the machine shop......I wonder what the chances are of getting two different parts with the same problem?

Attachments

• CHUCK.JPG
    CHUCK.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 195

BSea

I talked to Ken the other night, and he wants to do a slimline trade at the next meeting. They can be modified, regular, segmented, green, blue, purple, or whatever. Just make some sort of slimline for the trade next meeting. I'll be sending directions to his house in the next week or so. But it will be in an e-mail rather than here. But many of you have already been to his house for the meeting last June.

Last edited:

BSea

I got to thinking (which in itself is a a scary endeavor) & usually get a headache afterwards, but I went & found the Wood River Collet set & then remembered that it was also a #2 MT! I will probably have it for sale if my collet chuck for the metric set ever gets here...I am an avid hoarder of unusual tools & I need to sell some of this stuff before my demise...if my wife sells this stuff at a yard sale! I mean can you just see a yard sale where someone has never seen a lathe much less a collet set says, "I wonder what these things are" but $5 don't seem like a bad price...lol

I think someone has a signature line that says "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell all my blanks for what I told he I paid for them."

edman2

Local Chapter Leader

I think someone has a signature line that says "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell all my blanks for what I told he I paid for them."

That would be Pikebite from the UK! (Hmmm... wonder how I could remember that!)

Well the way I procrastinate sometimes....I better get started now! (I must spend too much time on the computer/forums/FB when I should be turning!)

Mine is already started....I think I will run & snap a pic. I have also ordered a dead center for my lathe...I am going to try & make this one (first one) "perfectly " round...maybe...I have never turned a blank "between centers"

Club Challenge..

Well here is the beginnings of a modified, segmented slim-line pen for the Central Arkansas Club challenge that I hope stays together....a little blue sheet plastic (United Plastics) a little bit of Padauk, a little bit of Holly, a little bit of Walnut, a piece of BSea alumilite (to replace the center band), and a little slice or 2 of aluminum...I may lay down my old carry pen & keep this one & try something else for the challenge if this one turns out better than usual....lol:cowboy:

Attachments

• CLUB.JPG
    CLUB.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 206

BSea

Well here is the beginnings of a modified, segmented slim-line pen for the Central Arkansas Club challenge that I hope stays together....a little blue sheet plastic (United Plastics) a little bit of Padauk, a little bit of Holly, a little bit of Walnut, a piece of BSea alumilite (to replace the center band), and a little slice or 2 of aluminum...I may lay down my old carry pen & keep this one & try something else for the challenge if this one turns out better than usual....lol:cowboy:
Ok, You weren't kidding about the segmented/blue/purple. Looks good. And for the record, mine will remain a secret. Of course, it would be less of a secret if I'd actually start making it.

Well, it is back to the drawing board.....this thang is too odd, the centerband doesn't complement the pen at all...maybe I can turn it off & try something else...suggestions?

Attachments

• PEN5.JPG
    PEN5.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 180
re-worked centerband

Got the center band area re-worked & it is a little more appealing:cool:

Well, it is back to the drawing board.....this thang is too odd, the centerband doesn't complement the pen at all...maybe I can turn it off & try something else...suggestions?

Attachments

• PEN1C.JPG
    PEN1C.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 160
Top Bottom