Julia's ear and face: Yeah! Recovered!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Just wanted to drop a line and thank everyone for their support. The week before Christmas I came down with an ear infection which required an ER visit for a morphine shot. I thought I was on the road to recovery when I started drooling coffee and lost my ability to spit out my toothpaste properly (I know, it's not much of a skill but it was useful and I wanted it back).

The ENT doc prescribed prednisone. He's my sister's boss and NOW she tells me that he told her that he was almost sure I was headed for surgery for some sort of neuroma or something like that inside my ear. I took the pills, the swelling that was compressing the nerves in my face went down, I stopped drooling and started spitting again. Yippee! I went back to the doctor and he was amazed. He had really thought it was something terribly serious. I'm greatly relieved.

Miracles of modern medicine, maybe. Prayers of friends, family, and colleagues, maybe. Just plain old dumb luck - well, I've had my share of that. Whatever it was, I can say that the kind words of this community helped me more than you can know.

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

That is a relief! Thank goodness you're okay and the swelling has gone down. Was there any link to your woodworking, or was that just happenstance? The marvels of modern medicine - ain't it great! [:)]

Dario

That is great news!

Amazing how we take simple things for granted and appreciate them when they are gone (spitting toothpaste for one LOL) [:D]

btboone

I had half my face paralyzed once like that as well. I was in Drum and Bugle Corps and was touring the country at the time. I started missing high notes on my bugle and it got worse so that I couldn't blink one eye. I had remembered sleeping on the bus and waking up with a terrible neck ache after sleeping with it over the handrail of the seat. Luckily, my director had seen such a thing before and sent me to a chiropractor. He was able to crunch my neck back into place and things gradually returned to normal within about a week. It's a scary thing to lose control of your muscles.

Glad to hear it worked out well.

alamocdc

Originally posted by btboone
<br />I had half my face paralyzed once like that as well.

I had that twice when I was younger. Scared the #($* out of me the first time! The doc said it was Bell's Palsy and it eventually went away... both times. And no one had any idea what caused it. Boy, it sure was fun to try and drink with one side of my mouth... NOT![;)]

btboone

Bell's Palsey is exactly what they called mine also. I have no question whatsoever that it caused by the pinched nerve in my neck though.

airrat

glad to hear your better. Prednisone, can have some side effects. When I have to take it for my asthma I cannot sleep and have anxiety.

woodwish

Good to hear that you are better. It's interesting to me all the different things prednisone is used for. I take it when I have an allergic reaction (usually skin blisters, not breathing problems) when I get into something I shouldn't touch like poison ivy or cocobola. I don't seem to have the reactions to prednisone that some others have, other than it makes me hungry. Of course that may be psychological! Sunshine, darkenss, and oxygen also make me hungry [:)]

jtate

I don't know if it was related to woodworking at all but the ENT doc said that ear coverings (not just ear plugs) would be a good idea. Just like we don't want those little bity particles in our sinuses and ears, we also don't want it in our ears. He thought it was likely to be a staph infection (MRSA). He did say be more careful about dust control. If your body's busy fighting dust what resources are left to fight off germs? Well, I didn't have an answer to that. I'm confident that I can do a great deal more to fight dust.

I'm on a crusade against dust! I amy be tilting at woodchips but I'm giving it a try!

My hearing is not totally bad to normal for me but apparently I still am in the normal range. My non-afflicted ear hears better than the one with the infection. I'm hoping things even out soon. I don't need anything keeping me any more out of balance.

Thanks for the support.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom