Jr. Pens Un-Capping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bikenstock

Hello all:
I have started penturning this year. I did a few of the Berea Parker Duofold fountain pen copy (aka Flat Top, Americana, etc) and like them fine except that they un-cap (de-cap? disencap?) [:0] themselves in a pocket or purse and leak. I got around to trying the CSUSA Jr. pens last week (Jr. Gent and Retro), and they are pretty and assemble well, but I have already caught them uncapping themselves in my shirt pocket. I thought the metal-to-plastic threads might hold better than the metal-to-metal Flat-tops, but they pop apart just like the Bereas. PSI addresses this with o-rings which seem to work fairly well. I was planning to try the CSUSA Statesman next, but I won't if it is prone to uncap the same way. Hoping for your vastly greater experience and any work-arounds on these otherwise nice FPs. Thanks.
Don French

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

I use small black O-rings on all my Barons, Jr Gents & Jr Statesman pens. Certainly stops uncapping when in your shirt pocket.:D

And welcome to the group!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Too bad you can't search their site by part number. Well, that is presuming that PlumbMaster.com is the same PlumbMaster.

GK

ashaw

One thing I have done on all of my pens is glue the trim ring onto the barrel. The press the thread part of the couple to 1/32" to the trim ring. This allows the threads from the cap to bottom out. So far so good. Now if I can figure how the stop the nib retainer from doing the same thing..

Randy_

There used to be an IAP member who sold the o-rings in reasonable quantities. If you buy them from the Internet you will probably have to buy a min. order.....maybe 100, maybe more and pay a big shipping fee.

I'll see if I can find the old post.

Randy_

I don't know if the o-rings are still available; but here is a link to the thread where they were offered. 25 o-rings for $3.15 and a self addressed stamped envelope.

FYI, it is a number 47 o-ring.

O-RINGS

bikenstock

Thanks, everyone, for the tips! :D Looks like o-rings are the consensus as the fix. Do the big FPs like the CSUSA Statesman and the Gent need them too? I have also made a few Churchills (7 or so) and they do not have this self-decapping problem so far. Is that due to plastic-to-plastic on the threads? Thanks again!
Don French

Randy_

This is one of the reasons that many pen collectors turn up their noses at many kit pens. Can't say for sure; but I doubt that you will find too many O-rings on the pens of most collectors.

You can gussy up a kit pen all you like; but the guts are still just a cheap and in many cases ill-performing Chinese knock-off. Hell, the kit manufacturers still can't seem to make a click pen that works as well as a Bic from Wal-Mart.

Top Bottom