Jr George cap disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

I really need to disassemble the whole cap and redo the finish. I have the finial/clip out but I am worried about the threaded end with the plastic insert. I have transfer punches. Will that section come out with out damaging the plastic insert?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've tried with a hammer and always messed them up. I bought a pen press that can be used to disassemble pens as well. I've yet to damage one. I use the same punches so it's the pounding vs. slow steady pressure.

magpens

Yeah, like Kenny said, I think your best bet is to use slow and steady pressure.

I say that, having never done exactly what you want to do, but for other disassembly jobs I have found that "slow and steady" is the way to go.

Good Luck !!! . . . . let us know how it goes, please !!

TonyL

I banged-out a few and got lucky. Used a transfer punch with some paper towel wading (and prayed!).

Bope

thanks for the replies. I have some soft grip pliers coming. Maybe I can rig something up with my drill press and the pliers to gently push it out.

Bope

I couldn't get the pliers to hold tight enough to use the drill press. I was worried about crushing it. I tired pounding on it a little, no go.

Top Bottom