I must admit, I do like these pen kits
8ff4ebae4159de1eff6364d80efb524b.jpg
fabff4a8d42f197d63262e3d6761365b.jpg
dbfe64497bb0c6b8a75e0ec70c463a5c.jpg
4f8cd69dc1e4e2607d2589c6331a4861.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Something about that kit and the Baron have been around for the longest of time and still past the test of time. They are a simple yet elegant pen kit It does not overshadow any blank you choose. That is why i like these kits. Nice work.

larryc

I don't know the source of your Jr. Gentlemen's component sets but they look just like the two that I had returned from a customer because the threads tore out. I also had one that I had in stock to sell that the threads tore out. I don't know the source of mine either.
I am replacing them with Artisan Jr. Gentlemen's from CSUSA. Hope they hold up better

DrD

Nice job! Love the blank, the lines. Really nice job.

The kit looks like several that I have: original Gent I. This postable cap kit uses the same drills and bushings as the Baron; all parts are interchangeable, same thread size, etc. Also shares the same issue with the black coating on the threads wearing, exposing the "orangish-reddish" bare threads. Other than that one issue, the Baron makes a nice pen. My wife & I use them daily.

Never had any issues with threads tearing out. Would like to know more about that - perhaps on a separate thread.

DrD

Dale Allen

An issue that gave me some problems early on with these kits was that the plastic threaded insert was not well fastened to the metal hardware.
If the nib end was pushed while threading it, the plastic would slip up into the cap end. It seemed like the threads stripped but it was just that the threads were now too far from the end to engage. My solution was to CA glue the plastic insert to the center band metal part, before any assembly.
The newer Artisan kits seem to have the plastic firmly pressed into the metal but I always check anyway.
Another solution is to use a small dab of epoxy around the outside of the plastic section before assembly. I've seen this on some directions.

As I recall, and don't quote me on this, but this is different than the very early ones that were the less expensive apprentice variety that had painted metal threads, which was a bad idea.🤪

Top Bottom