Jr Gent II issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

I have a very old Jr Gent II kit that I made into a very nice pen with a stars and strips blank. The problem is the loosening of the cap. I went thru the old posts trying to find a solution but other then the o-ring I came up blank. Can someone point me in the right direction for a fix. TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

Black Silicone

Hi JT,
I saw a mention of this but how and where do you apply it and how does it not become a mess. Also what type. Like the kitchen and bathroom version.?

jttheclockman

Hi JT,
I saw a mention of this but how and where do you apply it and how does it not become a mess. Also what type. Like the kitchen and bathroom version.?

I looked quickly for the thread on this and could not find it. It has been awhile and my memory is not as good. Here is the originator of the idea.

Texatdurango unfortunately George does not come to the site any more and some of his photos are gone. Bu he talks about the use of silicone and and there is a photo about 2 or 3 pages into the thread that should help. It was a neet way to correct the problem

www.penturners.org/forum/f14/how-keep-our-capped-pens-closed-44111/

Skie_M

Excellent tip , I haven't made any of those style pens yet and had a hard time figuring out what you did . I'll be honest , at first I was just skimming over what you wrote ,and just looking at the pictures . Your fix looks very professional , like it was meant to be . I'm guessing there's some type of gap in that space .

Jerry, You are correct, there is a space between the edge of the cap and the inner barrel where the threads actually start. This is the area where you have metal to metal contact when the pen halves are mated. Since the metal to metal contact provides no gripping effect the pens unscrew easily.

I filled that gap with silicone and now you have metal to silicone to metal which gives you a gripping seal.

I took another photo to show the before and after look.

Found it and quoted it here ... looks like a very nifty idea to preserve indeed ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom