Jr Emperor Made From A Lot of Small Pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

Here's the latest pen that I made just this week. The blanks for the Jr Emperor are laser cut. The cap blank has 84 inlays and the body blank 93. The woods are Walnut, Maple, Mahogany and Redheart. All of the inlays were numbered and reinserted in their same relative positions as from the source blanks from where they came. The outside corners of the inlays were filleted to match the radius of the inside corners of the cutout. A laser can't make perfect sharp corners so you make the inlays to match that deficiency.

IMG_5800.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Masochist... Are you going to offer the 'kit" for sale? I am a masochist also:D
Carl, this pen will be a one of a kind. The grid work that holds the inlays was designed to be 0.020" wide which makes it a little thin and weak for a production version. Once the inlays are inserted (hopefully without breaking the grid) and glued up, it's as strong as any of my other inlay blanks. I made a larger piece version where the inlays where 50% larger (84 total inlays) and ran it by some friends. They weren't impressed, but then again they saw this version first. I'm working on an alternate version where the pattern is rotated 90 degrees and it will have 116 inlays. I think it will be a good compromise between the two mentioned earlier. Here is a simulation of what that one will look like.
Pen 004.png

Top Bottom