JR 11 OPAL FX Galaxy Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

I have been trying to obtain JR 11 Pen Kits in the UK with no luck at all even with the help of you guys these were needed to fit the blanks won in the IAP raffle.
I can get a JR Gent kit but tube sizes and my blanks don't match but are close.
I made this Pen today using this kit and the John Underhill Galaxy blank.
I had to shorten both tubes by about 1.5 mm. The End Cap was a loose fit but CA glued fixed it.
The smaller Dia tube had to be opened up both ends to get a good fit did this by running them in the Lathe and used a small needle fille once turned between centres so they ran true in chuck.
Sorry this is a long explanation and I hope you like the result so now I have a method I can use the remaining JR11 blanks. From Mr Underhill.

Attachments

• pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 134
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 131
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Kcimdrib

Beautiful pen !!!! . . . . VERY NICELY DONE !!!!!

Now .... the kit issue ..... ( I hope that I am not misinterpreting the issue. ) .....

The kit designation you gave ..... " JR 11" ..... Could you be meaning " JR II " ... or ... " JR Gent II " ?? ( II = Roman Numeral 2 )

" JR Gent II " ... or ... " JR II " ... or " JR Gent 2 " ... kits are readily available .... in North America for sure, and I thought also World Wide.

I think these are the kits you need for compatibility with the John Underhill pre-tubed or pre-cut blanks.

But I am aware of there possibly being a problem with sizing because there have been some size changes in the kits by the same name over the years.

Also, there is in existence a very similar kit called the " Baron " which has slightly smaller brass tubes. . I don't think John makes for the Baron.

One always has to be very careful !!!!!

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

@Kcimdrib

Beautiful pen !!!! . . . . VERY NICELY DONE !!!!!

Now .... the kit issue ..... ( I hope that I am not misinterpreting the issue. ) .....

The kit designation you gave ..... " JR 11" ..... Could you be meaning " JR II " ... or ... " JR Gent II " ?? ( II = Roman Numeral 2 )

" JR Gent II " ... or ... " JR II " ... or " JR Gent 2 " ... kits are readily available .... in North America for sure, and I thought also World Wide.

I think these are the kits you need for compatibility with the John Underhill blanks.
Sorry yes they are marked JR ll . I can assure you having spent many hours on the phone they are not stocked in the UK. Some time there was a design change.and tube sizes changed slightly. I measured the ID of the tubes and the length a not one major supplier could help but with the method described I have solved the problem.
The concern I have is a featherd blank and don't think trying to shorten is a good idea.
Thank you for your comments.

magpens

@Kcimdrib

You are very welcome. . If you think I can help in any way, please let me know.

With regard to your feather blank shortening .... it can be done using a very sharp skew chisel.
I have even done the shortening on a metal-working lathe with a carbide cutting tool ... turning at about 1000 RPM. . But I was nervous !!
TAKE VERY LIGHT CUTS and you should be OK !

Sorry yes they are marked JR ll . I can assure you having spent many hours on the phone they are not stocked in the UK. Some time there was a design change.and tube sizes changed slightly. I measured the ID of the tubes and the length a not one major supplier could help but with the method described I have solved the problem.
The concern I have is a featherd blank and don't think trying to shorten is a good idea.
Thank you for your comments.

Kcimdrib

@Kcimdrib

You are very welcome. . If you think I can help in any way, please let me know.

With regard to your feather blank shortening .... it can be done using a very sharp skew chisel.
I have even done the shortening on a metal-working lathe with a carbide cutting tool ... turning at about 1000 RPM. . But I was nervous !!
I am thinking because it's such a small amount to remove I will use a sanding disc and run some thin CA on the surface.

magpens

I am thinking because it's such a small amount to remove I will use a sanding disc and run some thin CA on the surface.

That is also a good plan to use CA reinforcement. . The sanding disc should work fine but ..... BEWARE OF THE ORGANIC DUST FROM FEATHERS

Also, it is sometimes OK to have a slightly long blank ..... depends on the kit, the style of pen ( FTN, RB, or BP ), and your preferences.

When making BP pens, I have found that many kit tubes are on the short side for my preferences.
Another factor is that BP refills are not all the same length ... different manufacturers can vary by 0.020" or even a bit more.
I like the BP refill to not protrude "too much" beyond the end of the nib and I often adjust the length of my blanks accordingly.

Bear in mind also, that the actual blank MATERIAL length can exceed the length of the brass tube by a little bit with no problems, especially if you are gluing when inserting the nib and finial pieces . . I often leave the blank material longer than the brass tube by up to 0.030".
It all depends on the design of the kit and it takes some experience to know which kits to do that with . . Hope that is clear enough.

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

That is also a good plan to use CA reinforcement. . The sanding disc should work fine but ..... BEWARE OF THE ORGANIC DUST FROM FEATHERS

Also, it is sometimes OK to have a slightly long blank ..... depends on the kit, the style of pen ( FTN, RB, or BP ), and your preferences.

When making BP pens, I have found that many kit tubes are on the short side for my preferences.
Another factor is that BP refills are not all the same length ... different manufacturers can vary by 0.020" or even a bit more.
I like the BP refill to not protrude "too much" beyond the end of the nib and I often adjust the length of my blanks accordingly.

Bear in mind also, that the actual blank MATERIAL length can exceed the length of the brass tube by a little bit with no problems, especially if you are gluing when inserting the nib and finial pieces . . I often leave the blank material longer than the brass tube by up to 0.030".
It all depends on the design of the kit and it takes some experience to know which kits to do that with . . Hope that is clear enough.
Thank You.

Top Bottom