Journals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

I decided to add product to my line of pens. Instead of wine stoppers I choose journals. I have experimented with constructing five. The first one is scrap for me to use. The second one had more refinement but tore it apart and started over. The third one is a hard cover with five signatures that is on the counter, drying. Making pens is FAST compared to making these journals. I have one done that is salable. I am not going for the exotic copper covered journals. Mine will be canvas, leather and paper. I want to make my own paper but chit, what a process.
Anyone else making journals?? Would you like to see a picture of my first attempt?? :eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture. I was thinking about adding paper to my inventory...I mean I sell fine writing instruments and ink...why not the whole package?

Steve Busey

I saw somebody post something months ago, but I'll be darned if I can find it now - show us what you got!

(I snooped your website for a hint in vain... and noticed: shouldn't that say "Placing an Order" instead of "Placing and Order"? Just wondering...)

Jgrden

I saw somebody post something months ago, but I'll be darned if I can find it now - show us what you got!

(I snooped your website for a hint in vain... and noticed: shouldn't that say "Placing an Order" instead of "Placing and Order"? Just wondering...)
Hey, thank you. I need to change that right now.

Jgrden

So ummm...I could be mean and mention that I wasn't even born in the early 70's...ohhhhhhh, my bad :rolleyes:
Smart a$$$$

Oh, and by the way, keep your job. We older guys need you to keep putting into social security. :usflag::bananen_smilies068:

Jgrden

Okay, if I hear any one snicker at this, I will go to my room. Here is the first journal. Journals - 2-18-10 Reeds and Antler.jpg

Journals - 2-18-10 Reeds and Bones.jpg

It took eight hours of man work and another eight hours drying time. The pages are construction paper (not home made). it includes a pencil that is on sale for nineteen dollars. Knowing all this, what would you charge.

Last edited:

witz1976

Smart a$$$$

Oh, and by the way, keep your job. We older guys need you to keep putting into social security. :usflag::bananen_smilies068:

Yep just continue to use us younguns. :beat-up:

As for the Journals, I like them. I think as an idea, find someone who actually makes the paper and use that instead of the construction paper...You have such a nice cover. Pricing I think is a little low, I would try to get $45 - 50 if you are including a turned pencil, and if you can use some better quality paper.

Last edited:

mick

John,Nice Journal! You might want to Look back several issues of Wood Turners Design. They had an article on turning wooden covers for journals, you might like it.

Jgrden

Yep just continue to use us younguns. :beat-up:

As for the Journals, I like them. I think as an idea, find someone who actually makes the paper and use that instead of the construction paper...You have such a nice cover. Pricing I think is a little low, I would try to get $45 - 50 if you are including a turned pencil, and if you can use some better quality paper.
Thank you, young'n. I like your pricing suggestion and intend on using it.

Jgrden

John; I had at one time considered selling custom hand made papers to go with my pens, but it never got farther than the thinking stage.
After reading material on how to make paper, I am also resigned to the "thinking" stage. Need lots of room and material to soak up the water.

OKLAHOMAN

John, I do a couple of Art shows where a guy sells nothing but Journals, range in price from $100-$550...nice stuff.....

Jgrden

Journal #2 and #3

Journal - 2-20-10 Dark Simulated Leather w Pencil 2.jpg

Journal - 2-20-10 Dark Simulated Leather w pencil.jpg

Journal - 2-20-10 Dark Simulated Leather, blue pages, pencil.jpg

Journal - 2-20-10 White Cotton, yellow pages, pencil.jpg

Journal - 2-2-10 White Cotton, yellow pages, pencil 2.jpg
The dark colored is simulated leather. There are some bubbles in the spine, but the spine is never attached to the pages anyway. I think this is a drying issue when I did not set the book straight when adding the weights. It will be sold with a .007 mm pencil, handcrafted as you would expect. There are four signatures with eight pages for thirty-two pages of light blue construction paper.

The second one is also hard cover with heavy white cotton and yellow pages.

I finished one in leather today. It is still drying.

OKLAHOMAN

John, I do a couple of Art shows where a guy sells nothing but Journals, range in price from $100-$550...nice stuff.....

Holy Smokes. Well. that is an idea. If my lathe burns up and I cannot afford to replace it, we make journals.

He made all his own paper, used animal skins, lizard skins, wood , metal and even had one that he had incorperated clay in his covers...

nava1uni

If you are making journals for people who want to use either a pen or pencil use quality paper because the tooth of the paper, especially construction and handmade is not very nice for writing, especially with ink. For years I was a leather artist and made handmade journals and found that quality paper is worth the extra cost and allows you to sell your journals for a better price. I sold them for $60-100 depending on the size.

Jgrden

If you are making journals for people who want to use either a pen or pencil use quality paper because the tooth of the paper, especially construction and handmade is not very nice for writing, especially with ink. For years I was a leather artist and made handmade journals and found that quality paper is worth the extra cost and allows you to sell your journals for a better price. I sold them for $60-100 depending on the size.
I bought some real good paper yesterday. Practice time is over, now we go for the gold. :biggrin:

Jgrden

Journal - 2-21-10 Pigskin Hard Cover 2.jpg

Journal - 2-21-10 Soft Cover, Antler and Reed.jpg

Journal - 2-21-10 Soft Cover, Felt and Leather.jpg

Journal - 2-21-10 Soft Cover, Reed and Leather.jpgHere is the last of the construction paper journals (well, there is one more in the drying stage).
The first one is pigskin. It is the only hard cover today. The others are soft cover jotting type journals.

bitshird

Nice work John, can you find some Rhodia paper or Moleskin paper in a size that will fit your journals? I made a mistake trying to demo fountain pens using Parchment paper, looked good to me but was Nasty feeling under a fountain pen.

Jgrden

Nice work John, can you find some Rhodia paper or Moleskin paper in a size that will fit your journals? I made a mistake trying to demo fountain pens using Parchment paper, looked good to me but was Nasty feeling under a fountain pen.
Rhodia or Moleskin.....I will look for these. I purchased some sketching paper from Hobby Lobby that has a smooth finish, does not blot or spread ink and is easy to fold yet has some heft to it. Seems to be working. I'll have that book finished this afternoon.

Top Bottom