Jointing question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ImEricToo

Hello All,

I know this is a pen turner forum, but everyone has been so friendly and helpful with all of my previous questions I figured I'd ask here.
Right now I do most pen and small bowl turning with some other scrap/small projects - building out a box/covering to my bench power tools, etc. May make small boxes including band saw boxes.

My current tools are:
Benchtop drill press, benctop bandsaw, lathe, and power sliding miter saw as well as an older large craftsman router (never use).

Here is my dilemma. When I am making any small project and cutting boards, I use the bandsaw - sometimes sliding miter if cut is small enough. I strive to cut as straight as possible, but just doesn't happen, so I would like to joint the edges of the wood.

That being said I know the absolute best is a jointer and thickness planer with will not happened due to budget and space.
A jointer plane will do the trick but a decent one would be too much out of my budget.
Next choice would be a jack plane ~10 inches or so. Wich is good, but it's a one function tool for the most part.
Next option is a small table saw (Ryobi as an entry level one ~130). I know there are limitations, but being able to cut straight should be a no brainer :)
The final option is a router with a router table where the outfield fence can be adjusted separately.

So.......

The 'cheapest' may be a jack plane, but again - only 1 function.
Router with table - pricey, but can piece together - even though I am basically all ryobi, I understand their compact router isn't the best. Dewalt brushless has a deal with battery and charger for $170.
Table saw - again - ~130 for entry level. Realize I have sliding compound miter saw, but I can sell if I had to to make room.

Obviously like the idea of the cheapest route with a place and they are great tools, however, I do like the other 2 options as I can grow with them and do other things (thinking boxes/joints in general on both) down the road.

Sorry for the length of this and thanks for anyones advise/opinions.

Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Eric you ask an impossible question to answer for me anyway. Why is because you mention many different ways to joint an edge of a board and all have their plusses and minuses. All will get the job done. But each tool has multi functions that can be of help in other areas more than jointing. So if I had to choose one tool from your list it would definitely be a tablesaw. You can get straight cuts on any angle. You can dado cuts if need be. You can add jigs such as a sled to make special cuts. You can bevel cuts. You can make all kinds of joints that relate to box making. To an extent you can resaw boards to make thinner. (but that will depend on the power of the saw). You can do all kinds of projects with minimal tools and a little inginuity but a shop full of true woodworking tools makes the job so much easier. Many ways to combat space problems with fold down benches and things. But I know $$$ comes into play so will stay with my choice of tablesaw. Now I am not a fan of tabletop saws but again they will work. I would stay away from battery operated tools unless you plan on taking on the road. They will get more expensive than plug in tools. Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Me: Table saw and a table saw sled.
Table saw blade: Thin Kerf carbide teeth.
Do some studies on Table saw sleds, and choose one you think you can make. A good TS & sled will help with some cuts, both cross cuts and rips with a good jig and hold down clamps.

For the Table saw, check its miter slot size and depth. The miter slot is usually the guide for making great sleds. some slots are shallow on entry level saws. They "can" be made to work but the deeper slots give better options.

This is a multi step solution but in the long run, plenty of people here have far more tools than you and in the end - they use a refined sled for lots of cuts.

howsitwork

Depends what's you envisage doing as has been said.

I'd go for the router but a "mains one" for build quality and price. You can make your own table and fence to do whatever you want it to.

Table saw - again you get what you pay for and although I love mine to bits it ain't a cheap one . If the damn th8ng flexes in use or the guides aren't robust enough it's a waste of time and space ! Have a friend who went the cheap route and regretted it .

Look out for a used No5 plane at a car boot ( you call them garage sales I think ?) . You say a one use tool but you'll be pleasantly surprised how often that one use is handy ,

Either way have fun

ImEricToo

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions!!! This is great info and a bunch of things to think about. Exactly what I was looking for - items that I did not realise.

Much appreciated!
Eric

leehljp

Member Liaison
The problems with a router, plane and jointer is that while each side will be smooth, those three no not keep opposite sides parallel. A saw can, a thickness planer can also. Jigs can be made for the router (and probably plane / jointer) to bring opposites sides into parallel, but it gets tedious, depending on how precise you need. Again, this aspect (parallel sides) can be critical when perfect square is needed.

Top Bottom