Jet's version of the tormek sharpener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Anybody know anyone who has an opinion about this? I got my new woodcraft mailer today, and there is was, and it looked just like the tormek, same price and all. I'm going to be in the market for a tormek soon, and was wondering if I should be looking at a Jet or not. I'm looking for some trusted opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Havent' seen one yet, but this could be interesting. Always wondered why nobody has tried to make a cheaper knock-off version. Guess I need to do some 'net research. [;)]

Woodnknots

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />If it's the same price, why not just go with the Tormek?
That's exactly what I'm thinking, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with it. It comes with some extra's for the introductory offer that you wouldn't get with the tormek, and it is supposed to use tormek's accessories.

Daniel

Speaking of Woodcraft, Reno has finally reached the wood age. we have our first woodcraft store finally. just opened this month.
It's across town and for some reason my wife has been real strict about keeping me away from there. don't understand it myself, she said something soemthing do I wanna eat this week, something something. I just had that far away foggy look in my eye and wondered what kind of soup you can get from a pile of sawdust.

KenV

I saw the same flyer and figured that the Tormek patents had finally run out. Too close to be anything else without the lawyer full employment plan kicking in.

Anyone who gets to the demos, would appreciate your reaction. Will be in Seattle later in August and will take a look that the WoodCraft there.

low_48

Did a quick once-over at the Jet sharpener at Woodcraft. The one feature that will be nice is a variable speed with a higher max speed. I can't remember if it was 135 or 150 rpm compared to Tormek 90. That will really be nice truing and dressing the wheel. They have an additional base with two drawers, your guess is as good as mine about using that? The grinding wheel has a much different feel. They haven't plugged it in yet. Speaking of Woodcraft, our store in Peoria is closing out a Vega standard size duplicator for less than $600. Looks like a great deal for the right person.

Woodnknots

I bought the tormek yesterday, used it when I got it home, and I love it!!!! I may still do a little final honing on a 6k grit water stone, but by and large, it comes off with a GREAT edge!

Dario

I can't afford one but IF I am on the market for one, at the price, might as well go with the original (for now) until Jet's version is proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom