Jet1440

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I've been looking at adding a new lathe to the shop and have been eyeing the Record Power Coronet Envoy. Locally an older Jet 1440 was presented to me for about $500. I owned this same machine 10 years ago and it served me well. I'm kind of in a pickle because while it served me well, I hated the reeves drive.
On the other hand this would be a real inexpensive way to get back into hollow forms.
Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Personally, if budget allows, I would pass on the Reeves Drive as they are prone to wear and failure unless you are on top of maintenance.
Also, with this drive, one must remember to always slow the lathe down before turning off so it doesn't rev up too fast when starting back up or upon another project.

howsitwork

The envoys variable electronic speed control is useful and repositionable which is a VERY useful feature. The build quality is excellent too . What kit will you get with it if you buy new?

I have the Jet1440 and while I have turned a lot of wood on it, I've also rebuilt the Reeves unit about 4 times since 2006. I like my lathe, but as Charlie W said, given a choice now knowing what I know now, I would forgo the Reeves and go with a good EVS unit.
I've turned to date over 4000 pieces on the lathe and it's about time for a refurbish again... the bearings are starting to rattle, I don't think the speed control is anywhere near accurate, it definitely needs new motor pulleys as the current one wobbles and the belt will jump off at 2000 rpm... When I bought it I had the money to get the Jet1642 with EVS, but for reasons that are moot now, Opted for the lesser machine... still having regrets of that decision.

Buckmark13

I have a Jet 1442 with the Reeves drive.

Like you, an opportunity presented itself to to get a larger one from the midi I have, which does have variable speed. While used, the deal was much too good to pass up so I jumped on it knowing that the Reeves drive has limitations and potentially some issues. Since getting it I've not regretted it at all, but have had to replace the belt and must frequently look under the covers for one thing or another.

Would I do it again if I were in the same situation I was in? Absolutely, IF it were a great deal.

Would I get another Reeves drive lathe if mine needed to be replaced? No! I'd wait for another good deal on a variable speed or save up until I could afford one.

The one I have was perfect for me at the time, and has served me well. It countinues to. But I'm always on the lookout for a better one. Better, to me and among a few other things, would absolutely be one without the Reeves drive. I use it most every day and enjoy my time with it, but know what you're getting and what you're not getting. Having had one before, remember back to those days and ask yourself if the deal is worth the trade offs.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with!

Top Bottom