Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which lathe would you choose

• Jet 1221 variable speed @ $795

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Jet 1015 variable speed @ $650

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Jet 1015 non-vs @ $550

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I wouldn't buy ANY Jet, please elaborate in thread!!!

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
ExoticBlanks is about to become a reseller for Jet-Powermatic. Part of our opening order will be a few Jet Lathes. To help me determine the proper product mix, please take a moment and indicate your preferences on the attached survey.

If you have a lathe, and have no intention of purchasing, that's OK, I am just looking for people's preference WHEN they purchase. Thanks

FYI, the prices shown are only to be a reference, from one lathe to the next. Jet has "minimum allowed pricing", which is reflected in the above numbers. Real street pricing (a copier term) is likely to include some "freebees" or other incentives. Thanks to the guys who PM'd me to mention this!!

Afterthought! If you are looking to purchase a Jet or Powermatic lathe, shoot me a PM, please!!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I have two questions that come to mind.

Is shipping going to be included?
Amazon has free shipping, and if I were to purchase locally, there wouldn't be any shipping cost added.

Are you going to be the contact for any issues, replacement parts, warranty, etc., or would the purchaser need to contact Jet directly?

SteveG

I did not enter the poll, as I have no preference nor aversion among those listed. But my input is this: I would never buy a lathe for penturning which does not have the variable speed function. I always find myself adjusting the speed for one thing or another, and would not want to go through the belt change to do so. Based on my own experience, and how many pens are going to be turned on a new pen lathe, the cost differential to have the vs option is minimal.

cjester

I am not in the market for another lathe anytime soon. I have the Jet 1015vs with extension. I think it was a good choice for starting out. I am very glad I got the VS and the extension. When first starting I didn't realize just how much length you lose to the tailstock, especially with chuck and drill bit, but even a live center cone eats inches.

If I wanted to move up, I'm not sure the 1221 would be a big enough step to justify it. I'd love to move up to a Robust Sweet 16, but that's way out of my price range for the foreseeable future.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you, especially to those who commented.

I should point out that we will be full line Jet and Powermatic. Most will be drop-shipped from them. However, we are going to place an order for stock to take to MPG. We hope to sell a couple lathes there and the buyers can take them home (over 100 attendees are from driving distance).

I expect we will handle service and parts like every other product we sell. You call us, if it is within our "knowledge base" we take care of it and we deal with the manufacturer for whatever you needed.

If you are in the market for Jet aircraft, we will be happy to help you acquire a "mustard monster" (big Powermatic) from your petty cash fund, in case you want to fashion more attractive knobs and switches!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jttheclockman

I have a Jet 1014vs and the 1221vs but if I were in the market again I would get the Laguana 1216VS instead of either jet 1014 with or without VS. I believe this lathe will put the jet away in that range and they will need to step up or move over. Market got a little more crowded. :):)

Quality Pen

Jet 1015 variable speed

I actually own this and recommend it regularly.

Being a pen turning seller, honestly I feel like you should NOT carry the non VS! Is there seriously a pen turner who doesn't want VS? I made some mistakes buying my first lathe, but the second time around I got a good one. Unfortunately, I didn't get great advice from a pen selling store.

Had I talked to Ed, I'm sure he would have steered me towards a well made 2mt VS mini lathe like the Jet.

sbwertz

We have both a 1015 variable speed and a 1015 non-variable speed at the blind center. They get used for three hours solid, three days a week for five years now. Only failure I have had is a stripped bolt in the tailstock hold down. Probably from someone moose-fisting it. If ten inches is enough throat for you, I can vouch for their durability and ease of use.

As to the variable speed vs the non-variable speed, I have found only one problem. The variable speed will bog down and stop at slow speeds, where the non-variable speed will just hunker down and keep on turning. So for things like turning a big piece round, where you have to run it at a low speed until you get it where it balances properly, the non variable speed is better. The variable speed is great because you can just turn a dial to change the speed as a piece gets smaller, or for sanding, then speed it back up for a friction finish.

Though to be perfectly honest, at home I have a vs 12 inch and a non vs 10 inch and I use the 10 inch 90 percent of the time. I can change a belt in about 20 seconds without even looking...by touch.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Love my current Delta but if I had to purchase again I would go with that Jet 1221. I think it is a heftier lathe and seems to be well made. The only worry I have about Delta now is that I think the brand is not its own anymore. Being owned by Stanley and then sold off to a Taiwanese company made it kind of lose its identity in my opinion. Pretty sure that Jet and Powermatic are still owned by a private equity firm in the USA. I think it makes them a better choice than Delta at moment.

I saw someone mention Laguna as well. I bought a large Dust Collector from them a while ago. I was not crazy about the quality. When I complained it fell on deaf ears. I was just not crazy about the service. They were cheap though.

Hope that helps.

Talltim

Well we love our jet 1221vs. We called their customer service once and they could not have been better.

And if exotic blanks had of been selling them then, we probably would have got it from you. Your customer service has been great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

wouldentu2?

You sell me the addictive materials, deliver it so I don't have to buy it on the street corner and now you want to sell me the paraphernalia. OK.

CaptainJane

For my one and only lathe, I shopped a lot, and chose the 1221. The variable speed was important in the decision, and now 3 years later, the 1221 is still humming along.

jttheclockman

Question for you Ed, how are you going to compete with other vendors such as Woodcraft that right now has a sale of 10% off all Jet tools and free shipping?? Will you be able to have sales like this because you do see them quite often from various vendors and I know that Jets as a nation wide sale some time during the year. Will you be able to match these sales and will you be allowed to?? Thanks.

Argo13

Ed,

My next lathe will likely be a 1hp so I voted for the1221. I do currently have the 1015VS which I use exclusively for applying CA and finishing. It has been a fine machine and I recommend it. In addition to being great for that I believe it would be fine as a primary machine even though it's only 1/2 HP.

Jason

MRDucks2

Question for you Ed, how are you going to compete with other vendors such as Woodcraft that right now has a sale of 10% off all Jet tools and free shipping?? Will you be able to have sales like this because you do see them quite often from various vendors and I know that Jets as a nation wide sale some time during the year. Will you be able to match these sales and will you be allowed to?? Thanks.

I have not seen a Jet, Rikon or Laguna sale that didn't hit all suppliers. I believe they come from the factory as Jet is on sale everywhere at 10% off. The free shipping may be key and may be part of the factory deal, also, since it is drop shipped by most. Good question, will be interested in the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After 40 years of practice in the copier industry, don't worry, I know how to compete.

As I understand it, there are national specials that will help. But, my major interest is in local sales and, at the moment, concentrating on selling at the MPG. I have also gotten Jet to agree to give away a 1015 at the MPG:eek::eek::eek:, which will be announced soon, as we determine how it will be awarded to an attendee.

Thanks for your concern, JT!!! :wink::wink:

Don't worry, I will land on my feet!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

penicillin

I use variable speed every time I turn pens. I would not buy a lathe without it.

I have an older Delta 46-460 lathe. It looks a lot like the Jet 1221vs, but with slight differences. They are so close in design and appearance, I suspect that both come from the same factory.

If I had to choose a Jet brand lathe, I would choose the 1221vs. If I were to shop for a new lathe, Jet might not be my first choice. I would consider Laguna first.

Top Bottom