Jet lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My pen lathe is a Jet 1014 EVS (I think). I've started having trouble with the on/off switch. It's a simple toggle switch, no biggie to replace, but my go to parts place is ereplacementparts.com and they indicate the part is not available (go figure). Anybody have this problem and have a solution or know of another parts place?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

These switches are not dust proof. UNPLUG THE LATHE!
1. Remove any "Safety key" in the switch. Use pressure air to blow out the switch. If it works you are done.

2. Check the connectors to the switch. In many of these there are "push on" connectors. Make sure there isn't any crud in the connection and they are tight.

Before removing the switch TAKE A PHOTO of the wire connecting to the switch.

3. take the switch out and carefully take it apart. Be careful of springs and such.

you might be able to find a different switch for a different lathe. Look at digikey. Toolpartspro.com may have it too.

SteveG

I went thru this switch failure...it was not uncommon with that model lathe. I was able to find a replacement simply by looking for a standard toggle switch with the same rating. I believe I bought two, and used one. That lathe has since been sold. I will look today, and if able to locate the spare switch, will let you know, and send it your way. This would be a much better use of that switch than having it sit unused in a box somewhere in my shop! :):)

jttheclockman

Those are standard bat handled toggle switches. Just need the specs off it and can get at electrical supply house or even on ebay. Many times when mine does not shut off I have to push in on the switch handle and flip off. Tells me the contacts are pitting.

SteveG

Success! After a quick look, I found the spare switch. I can mail it out today. I will follow this with a PM to coordinate. :biggrin::biggrin:

Y'know, I've been part of this community for a while now and every now and then something happens that reinforces my belief that "we" are a special place. Case in point: I started this thread to get some info on where I could get a replacement switch for my Jet pen lathe (Jet doesn't offer them any more). SteveG posts that he had the same issue and has an extra switch. He sends it to me (free, of course) and I'm back in business. Is this a place full of great people or what?
THANKS SteveG!!!

SteveG

Y'know, I've been part of this community for a while now and every now and then something happens that reinforces my belief that "we" are a special place. Case in point: I started this thread to get some info on where I could get a replacement switch for my Jet pen lathe (Jet doesn't offer them any more). SteveG posts that he had the same issue and has an extra switch. He sends it to me (free, of course) and I'm back in business. Is this a place full of great people or what?
THANKS SteveG!!!

What Ted failed to mention is that he sent me a bottle of some of the finest Pure Maple Syrup (Source: a local small business person) that I have ever enjoyed. So this was his 'Thank You' for the small deed of sending him a switch that I already had, and that he could use. I just wanted to repeat his thought...by expressing the great feeling that comes from the sharing and the wholesome friendship that is so typical of being part of IAP. Great place to be! Thanks Ted. :):)

Top Bottom