JET LATHE REPLACEMENT BEARINGS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My pen lathe is a Jet 1014vsi. It's been a super good lathe but recently the headstock has been making some noise and has been getting warmer than I remember. I suspect the bearings are going to need replacement. No issue there - they're even available on line. But a set of 2 bearings at eReplacement Parts is over $70. Plus shipping.

I haven't torn it down yet so I'm wondering if any of you have had the same issue and (MAYBE) you might have the "generic" part number (the one off the bearing itself).

Thanks in advance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I've replaced mine. I went to a local bearing house (Motion Industries or Pervis Bearings) and purchased bearings. I took my old bearings with me and they got the numbers and matched them. They had two quality levels and I got the better and the price was not bad at all as I recall. It was not the amount you reported but it was 4 or 5 yrs ago.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

I may have the old bearings or the new bearing boxes in the shop. I will look when I get home. Best I remember the sizes were not the same.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Kenny Durrant

I agree with Don. I managed an Asphalt Plant for years and when I needed bearings for my lathe I went to A&W Bearing. There are several industrial bearing places in the Dallas Metroplex. Not sure where you are but look one up if possible. I had to take the bearings out so they could match them up with what they carried. They don't have a clue about woodworking tools. If I remember correctly I got both head stock bearing for about $20.

jttheclockman

I use these people and in fact just ordered some parts for my drum sander from them. I see the bearings listed as #5 and #6 but they are not shown on the parts list. Maybe you can call and talk to them and see what the deal is. That is what I would do.

https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/708375vs-jml-1014vsi-parts?p=2

I believe there was a tutorial in the library about changing bearings if I recall. I have a hard time looking through this new library thing so will leave that for you if you want to search. I know there were threads posted on this topic for sure. You can look that up also.

TonyL

I replacement mine twice using Jets because it was under warranty. The good part is that I know how to replace them; the bad part is that there were fine. LOL

Top Bottom