Jet 1220VS bearing replacement instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I've got a knock coming from one of my bearings in the headstock, and I've acquired a new set. Trouble is, I don't know the proper procedure for replacing them! A search of the inter-webs revealed nothing, and I'm at a loss. I'm sure I could easily figure this out, but I don't want to overlook something out of sheer ignorance. Does anyone out there have a step-by-step guide to replace these bearings? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I have had knocking, but I just had to tighten the insert screws on my pulleys. The Jet Tech said that I had to loosen them all slightly, then tighten them all. Beyond this one fix (to my knocking issue), I only know how to turn it on an off - so I may not know what I am talking about.

pianomanpj

Thanks, Tony, but as is my norm, as soon as I post a question, I find the dang answer! I've replaced the bearings following some step-by-step instructions.

The center seems to be running true...

HOWEVER...

...there is some vibration. The handwheel seems to have a little wobble in it, but I believe that it had existed before I changed the bearings. Anyone else ever have this issue and know how to fix it?

shastastan

Thanks, Tony, but as is my norm, as soon as I post a question, I find the dang answer! I've replaced the bearings following some step-by-step instructions.

The center seems to be running true...

HOWEVER...

...there is some vibration. The handwheel seems to have a little wobble in it, but I believe that it had existed before I changed the bearings. Anyone else ever have this issue and know how to fix it?

The hand-wheel has allen set screws. You might try loosening them and reseatting the hand-wheel. I had to replace my spindle so I understand the hassle with the bearings. My problem was getting the sensor ring placed right. Jet tech support was very helpful for me.

TonyL

I don't know if this is a fix: But as part of my routine maintenance (the only part of my maintenance besides vacuuming it), I do check the set screws.

It was the Jet tech that instructed me to loosen all, then tighten all (not just tighten the loose one).

In fact, I am going to do that today.

pianomanpj

I don't know if this is a fix: But as part of my routine maintenance (the only part of my maintenance besides vacuuming it), I do check the set screws.

It was the Jet tech that instructed me to loosen all, then tighten all (not just tighten the loose one).

In fact, I am going to do that today.

Great tip, Tony. Thanks! :biggrin:

Top Bottom