Jet 1015vs VS turncrafter commander 12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuzukiGS750EZ

So I've dwindled my options down to these two lathes. They're within my comfortable price range and seem to have decent following. I've never used a lathe. I originally wanted to just do pens but thinking about making other things (not necessarily bowls) interests me too. If I got the turncrafter I'd get the extended one for a few more bucks. What are your thoughts and why?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Jet better name and proven lathe. I would jump up to the Midi 1221. Get VS you will not be sorry. Laguna is a very nice lathe and gets good reviews too. May want to look at that one.

KLJ

What John just said. Just my experience when and if possible stepping up to the next level, ( better quality and features ect.) ends up saving money in the long run. Trading or selling to upgrade usually means a loss.
I have turned with and without VS and would not want to be without again.

SuzukiGS750EZ

The jet 1015vs (I forgot to add the vs, which I want) is $600. The turncrafter with extension is $545. What in this 500-600 price range is the best bang for the buck? The 1221 is almost $900. With shipping a Laguna 1216 is around $850. Not that I wouldn't love a lathe in that price range, but just starting out I'm trying to get something above "starter" but not fast myself in debt lol.

TonyL

Jet has a 5 year warranty, their support is excellent. I do not know about the turncrafter; many appear happy with them.

monophoto

Chris -

I started out with a small lathe (8x12), and found that after a couple of years my interests had outgrown its capabilities. When I started shopping around for a replacement, I set out a number of constraints to help focus on practical options - price was clearly a factor, but possibly more important issue for me was the physical footprint that the lathe would occupy since my shop space is limited. I eventually settled on the 12" Turncrafter (12x18) which I have now had for about six years. It has served me well, and I have been pleased with it.

As is the case with most lathes, the Turncrafter is made in China, and the same machine is available from other suppliers, usually with a different paint color and, in one case, with slightly different features (the King Canada version includes a reversing switch that is not offered on the PSI version). I suggest looking at the 12" model rather than the 10" - it offers more flexibility than the smaller lathe, and the price is only slightly higher. The 10" might be fine for someone who is only going to turn pens or other small spindles, or who is looking for a portable lathe for demonstrations. The variable speed controller is very convenient, and switching between pulleys is simple. It does not have a reversing switch, but adding one is not difficult. It is possible to 'tweak' the speed control to optimize the VS range to meet your needs. There are two minor quirks that you need to be aware of - I suspect that these are typical of the price category and not exclusive features of Turncrafter:
  • It has an indexing wheel, but it is not intended to be used as a spindle lock. The indexing wheel is plastic, and attempting to use it as a spindle lock will result in broken teeth. DAMHIKT
  • In my case, and in others that I have hear of, the tailstock can rotate slightly (only about a degree), but that's enough to cause the tailstock to misalign with the headstock. Normally, this is not a concern but it can be a slight nuisance when drilling on the lathe - use a skew chisel to cut a dimple in the center of the blank, and then align the drill bit with that dimple before locking down the tailstock.
My advice would be to first decide on what kind of work you intend to do, and then choose the features that you required to do that work. Then, you can create a list of lathes that offer that feature. After that, it's a matter the more practical matters such as price and the ability to fondle an example prior to making a decision, and the service reputation for both the lathe and the vendor who sells it.

jttheclockman

See the thing is your asking a question I believe we all been there and done that. I know myself I started with the Jet 1014 vs (back then that is what they were called) and a few years later I wanted the 1220vs (again back then that is what they were called) I would not have 2 lathes in the shop if I did not have to. I could have saved the extra money on initial layout. But water under the bridge. So yes it maybe more money now but a savings down the road. We are and others here too are looking at it from that stand point and we are not discouraging you either way. Just making a point. You will have a larger expense tab as the further you get into this. But of the 2 lathes you mention Jet is my choice and I own 2 of them. Had to replace a switch on one but that is it. Had over 10 years now.

JimB

Like John I started with the Jet 1014 VS (now called the 1015 VS) 12 years ago. I still own it but it is no longer my primary lathe but does get used Regularly. I have never needed to fix anything on it.

my local club owns both Jet 1014 and the Commander from PSI. The Commanders are a bit larger (swing, bed length and motor) but the Jet is better made. You say you don't want a starter lathe however I would consider both of these starter lathes. The Jet 1221 VS or the Laguna 1216 would be the next step up. I have used both and they are both excellent with slightly different features and capabilities.

You mention buying the bed extension. From what you plan to turn I don't know why you would need that.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Like John I started with the Jet 1014 VS (now called the 1015 VS) 12 years ago. I still own it but it is no longer my primary lathe but does get used Regularly. I have never needed to fix anything on it.

my local club owns both Jet 1014 and the Commander from PSI. The Commanders are a bit larger (swing, bed length and motor) but the Jet is better made. You say you don't want a starter lathe however I would consider both of these starter lathes. The Jet 1221 VS or the Laguna 1216 would be the next step up. I have used both and they are both excellent with slightly different features and capabilities.

You mention buying the bed extension. From what you plan to turn I don't know why you would need that.
I've been interested in making maybe "wands" for the kids, baseball bats, other things as I get better at turning. It seems like jet gets a nod from everybody. I can't really swing more than $600 right now unless it's REALLY crucial.

JimB

Wands are usually +/- 12" so they can be made on any of the lathes mentioned. Bats, if you are talking full size, is different. The Commander i believe is 18" between centers. Even with the 12" extension is 30" between centers.

Fred Bruche

If you haven't owned a lathe before there will be a lot you need to learn and get comfortable with. Either of these models will get you there. A plus for the Turncrafter from PSI is that it comes with a few other things (tools and such) that will get you started right away and that not bad to use.

SuzukiGS750EZ

If you haven't owned a lathe before there will be a lot you need to learn and get comfortable with. Either of these models will get you there. A plus for the Turncrafter from PSI is that it comes with a few other things (tools and such) that will get you started right away and that not bad to use.
I'm thinking the jet, just because it seems more quality.

What basic tools to get started? Can i use a flat head screwdriver to turn [emoji1787]

Fred Bruche

I'm thinking the jet, just because it seems more quality.

What basic tools to get started? Can i use a flat head screwdriver to turn [emoji1787]

Actually you can as long as you can sharpen it. I have a few homemade tools for turning from screwdrivers, my most used one is probably the "point tool" (from about a 1/4" shaft), for detail work and V groves ;)

Top Bottom