Jeers Doug Thompson

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteON

If Doug Thompson offers a prize do not expect to receive it. I won last year but never heard from him. Can't complain about not receiving a free item but it was a bad business move on his end. Doug gets a lot of positive support from members here and and sure he's a great person. However he's too busy to reply...too busy to say he's too busy to get a committed prize out. I do not need a free tool. Great tool Maker...maybe....good manager...not really. I have to laugh at this...I GOT NOTHING FOR NOTHING :biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

If Doug Thompson offers a prize do not expect to receive it. I won last year but never heard from him. Can't complain about not receiving a free item but it was a bad business move on his end. Doug gets a lot of positive support from members here and and sure he's a great person. However he's too busy to reply...too busy to say he's too busy to get a committed prize out. I do not need a free tool. Great tool Maker...maybe....good manager...not really. I have to laugh at this...I GOT NOTHING FOR NOTHING :biggrin:
Wow.

TonyL

I don't doubt your experience. That is not congruent with my experience of his support and business practices in the past. I only spoke to him a month ago. I hope he is ok (and would be nice if you get your prize).

WriteON

I don't doubt your experience. That is not congruent with my experience of his support and business practices in the past. I only spoke to him a month ago. I hope he is ok (and would be nice if you get your prize).
This is one year old. Not a current issue. Just a little untimely.
I hope he is ok too. I'm not taking it personally. I'm strong. I can handle anything. I'm married.

Last edited:

WriteON

And then there are folks who win prizes and don't say thanks to the donor.

That's poor etiquette and lack of appreciation. May the PenPrize Gods look down on them. May they never win again. I hate holding a door open for someone and do not like not getting a simple thanks. Thank you became replaced with No Problem. I guess it is a problem.

jttheclockman

Well lets ask the powers to be, is he slated to donate any prizes this year??? Has he committed to donate this year??? If not then all good. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Herb G

Well lets ask the powers to be, is he slated to donate any prizes this year??? Has he committed to donate this year??? If not then all good. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
No, it's not "all good" by any stretch. If someone promises a prize, then refuses or ignores a request to fulfill that prize, they are a no good welsh.
They are not an honorable man by any means because they failed to keep their word.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I grew up, a man was as good as his word.

WriteON

No, it's not "all good" by any stretch. If someone promises a prize, then refuses or ignores a request to fulfill that prize, they are a no good welsh.
They are not an honorable man by any means because they failed to keep their word.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I grew up, a man was as good as his word.

Well said Herb. Nothing complicated about commitment and following through. Good intentions are Hallmark.
And you sir committed to stop smoking. How ya doin.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

My point is this is the second posting Frank made on this. I know he put this one in the Jeers and Cheer section but for someone that has no past renege posts that I know of, there has to be a reason for this oversight. What it is I hope we all find out soon. If he did not offer up any prizes this year maybe there is something deeper to the story. To throw people under the bus is not good until the whole story is revealed. That is all I am saying.

WriteON

My point is this is the second posting Frank made on this. I know he put this one in the Jeers and Cheer section but for someone that has no past renege posts that I know of, there has to be a reason for this oversight. What it is I hope we all find out soon. If he did not offer up any prizes this year maybe there is something deeper to the story. To throw people under the bus is not good until the whole story is revealed. That is all I am saying.

I was asked to post here as the other post was off topic to that thread. Doug is not being tossed under the bus. Consider this a review of my experience. Did not say anything negative about his tools. And threads like this tend to be a positive as the vendor gets more exposure. You keep defending Doug. There is nothing deep here or agenda related. He's embarrassed or does not seem too concerned. There are no 2 sides to this. I consider myself to be a reasonable person. If I was told it's going to take x amount of time or cannot follow through for whatever I'd gladly say Thanks for letting me know. No response is weak. But business is business. Giving away custom tools does not pay the bills. Sorry it's not a Cheers thread. I would have preferred to say how great the prize was. And would have given a fairly good order for more tools if I liked it. Anyway the thrill is gone. The fun or excitement of winning a prize is cheapened. I don't really care if he replies... I'm just blowing wind. This is the first time I won & lost at the same time. I'd say I'm even. And two in the bush beat none in hand.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Frank

I apologize the we've not followed up on this. I recall some discussion with Mike Redburn many months ago about this. My recollection was that he was going to contact Doug, but I never closed the loop to make sure the tool was delivered. As far as I can recall, we've never settled for a winner losing out on getting any prize, and I'm going to send you a PM with a proposed solution.

In general, we've always preferred to have donation drawing prizes in hand prior to the drawing, but since this one is customized with the winner's name, it's an exception to that policy. Perhaps we'll revisit awarding any prizes that I don't already have on hand, or which I am not sure exist and are ready to ship immediately from the donor.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Did you report this to Jeff and Mike Redburn?

They always want to know about such things and will do what they can to help resolve these issues.

We also keep a list of deadbeat donors who are banned from being able to participate in activities and possibly subject to other IAP sanctions. But such actions are only possible if the incident is reported so it can be investigated.

Herb G

Perhaps we'll revisit awarding any prizes that I don't already have on hand, or which I am not sure exist and are ready to ship immediately from the donor.
That's a great idea Jeff. However, I tend to agree with anyone who supports the idea that someone - whomever it may be- never promise something they have no intention on delivering in the first place.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know that things happen, and people make mistakes, and stuff like that, but it's a good idea to make sure that when someone has promised something, they actually have that item to deliver upon being notified by the proper people here on the forum.

For instance, I have promised a BOB for the 2019 BASH winner. I have already contacted MRedburn as to how to fulfill this promise.
I'm not trying to say I'm any better or worse than anyone else, just that I intend to fulfill my obligation for providing such prize once I am notified as to who to send it to is all.

I hope that all makes sense.
:)

WriteON

Frank

I apologize the we've not followed up on this. I recall some discussion with Mike Redburn many months ago about this. My recollection was that he was going to contact Doug, but I never closed the loop to make sure the tool was delivered. As far as I can recall, we've never settled for a winner losing out on getting any prize, and I'm going to send you a PM with a proposed solution.
It's people like you that make the world go around. Its people like you that make IAP a superior forum. But I'm refusing your offer. And that's between you and me. But thank you so much. You're quite an honorable person. You made my day. Thanks Jeff. That was over the top.

Last edited:

WriteON

Frank
In general, we've always preferred to have donation drawing prizes in hand prior to the drawing, but since this one is customized with the winner's name, it's an exception to that policy. Perhaps we'll revisit awarding any prizes that I don't already have on hand, or which I am not sure exist and are ready to ship immediately from the donor.

I'd like to think what happened turns into something good for future contests. Having donations in hand prevents any disappointment. Thanks again for the PM. You're a solid person.

Last edited:

WriteON

I find Doug to be MOST Honorable and honest. Sounds like you failed to communicate with him over the alleged prize. P.

Where does it sound like I failed. Please pinpoint. How did this turn around? Just curious. And for the record I provided my details..phone number.. etc. Anyway to cover the $110 custom tool I never received Jeff said he'd buy Super Bowl tickets for me if the Eagles get there. Just kidding.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We are working on the situation but have no further information to share. We have not been able to resolve this but continue to reach out to Doug.

WriteON

We are working on the situation but have no further information to share. We have not been able to resolve this but continue to reach out to Doug.

I'm requesting we close this unless out of curiosity we're wondering what happened. I'm content leaving this go. I'm good and moving on.
He knows the situation. Had plenty of time to make good or explain. Leave him be... my .02. It's his reputation to do what he wants with.

Last edited:

philipff

BAD posting! Doug is a man of honor and has given much to the turning community. He has delivered on every promise and even with no asking by anyone!! This kind of rant deserves the circular file and nothing else. PfDuffy

jttheclockman

I too have tried to reach out to him and if he contacts me I will pass the info on. It now has become a curiosity situation and one of those itches that do now want to go away until scratched. :):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom