JD pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So I am gearing up for a craft show next Saturday. The wife and I turned some more stuff last night. We also did a first and used a Jack Daniels oak barrel pen blank. We put it on a bullet casing twist pen. If you have never done one of these blanks you are missing out. The smell of JD fills the air as I drilled through the blank, also my wife could smell it as I turned the blank. I just wanted to share my experience with it. Besides, what else goes better than a whiskey blank and a bullet casing LOL. We Opted for a friction polish and wax instead of CA. Its oak, so no worries about that, and over time as the other finish wears off, the smell should come through not to mention darken the wood with use. :biggrin:

panamag8or

I've turned 3 of these... two Jim Beam and one JD. They do smell great when turning. I put a CA finish on mine, though... they look sweet. Report back, with whether they retain the smell for any length of time with just a friction finish... I may try that if they do.

Twissy

These are a good seller for me, especially with Christmas coming up. I do Jack Daniels, Glenfiddich, Laphroig, Macellan and my favourite Taylors port. I don't like putting any finish on these, just burnish them with their own shavings. I also supply the pen with a small bag of the shavings. I like to use some of the shavings myself to smoke a fillet of trout using an old saucepan.....exquisite!!

Top Bottom