JB Platinum pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

Howdy all
I picked up a DV-200N off of eBay tonight. Price was too good and it was a local pickup.

The motor seems to run fine but there is no oil in the reservoir. Not sure how long it had been run that way.

I've downloaded the manual and I plan on opening it up - I was wondering if there was anything I should be looking for in terms of wear or damage.

I knew this would be a gamble but the price was too good and I knew I could rebuild any part of it as necessary.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You will need oil to test it and I would just use water when checking the vaccum. The oil can be purchased at shops that sell parts and equipment for HVAC systems. It is a specific oil that has to be changed out fairly often, techinically after vacuum use but you could get 2-3 uses for the stabilize work since it isn't as big of a job as an HVAC. Does that make sense?

InkyMike

Thank you - I watched a number of maintenance videos last night. I ordered up a couple quarts of oil from the local Grainger and they have the cartridge/o ring kits as well.

I'm still waiting on parts for my chamber so it will be a little while before I can fully test it.

Joebobber

I bought 1off Ebay from a guy in Minneapolis and it worked but only for a couple weeks maybe. It was supposedly brand new. Hope you have better luck than i did!

InkyMike

Well, I had pretty low expectations given what I paid for it. We'll see what happens once I get some oil in it. At the end of the day the JBs are more or less completely rebuildable. But even if I have to do that I'll have paid less than 1/3 of what one of those units costs new. Fingers crossed!

InkyMike

Update: My parts from TurnTex arrived. I put the chamber together along with a hasty lid (I'm surprised it sealed.). Put new oil in the pump and fired everything up. Not too shabby and the motor/pump seem to be humming along nicely.

Attachments

• F081E153-3780-4B3F-8F6E-047FBF5B5605.jpeg
    F081E153-3780-4B3F-8F6E-047FBF5B5605.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 38

PatrickR

Nice. Since your pump came to you fairly empty, I'd run it until everything gets warm and change the fluid completely. Just to flush it out.
buy the oil by the gallon.

InkyMike

That's a good call. I ran it for about an hour tonight. I'll probably warm it up tomorrow and change it out. It took almost a quart to fill it.

I don't know if it's normal or not but it's fairly noisy until it reaches full vacuum. Then it's really quiet.

PatrickR

That's a good call. I ran it for about an hour tonight. I'll probably warm it up tomorrow and change it out. It took almost a quart to fill it.

I don't know if it's normal or not but it's fairly noisy until it reaches full vacuum. Then it's really quiet.
Yes, thats normal.

Top Bottom