Jack Daniels, what to do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

So my daughter works for Home Depot and called me to see if I would come and buy the last two old whisky barrel halfs.I said OK. So I go up there and see that they are Jack Daniels Old No.7. I got them for 50 cents each, regularly $29.95.

The question is, do I let my daughter and wife fill them up with dirt, or do I make some pen blanks. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks

Morton

Attachments

• DSCI0100.jpg
    DSCI0100.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCI0099.jpg
    DSCI0099.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCI0098.jpg
    DSCI0098.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

So my daughter works for Home Depot and called me to see if I would come and buy the last two old whisky barrel halfs.I said OK. So I go up there and see that they are Jack Daniels Old No.7. I got them for 50 cents each, regularly $29.95.

The question is, do I let my daughter and wife fill them up with dirt, or do I make some pen blanks. I am open for suggestions.

Sorry about the double post. I did an edit to add a picture and it treated it as a reply.

Thanks

Morton

Attachments

• DSCI0098.jpg
    DSCI0098.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCI0099.jpg
    DSCI0099.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCI0100.jpg
    DSCI0100.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

robutacion

Hi Morton,

My suggestion is obviously easy to guess and that is, dismantle the half barrels and keep the wood for for pen turning.

You've got sufficient evidence that the barrels are authentic so, you can easily make some blanks for sale or, simply put some of the staves on sale on eBay and you will make a few good bucks.

My question is, what was the real reason behind your daughter's call to you...???

Was she calling you because she wanted you to pay and grab the 2 half barrels for her or her mum to use as pot plants or, she called you because she knows that the wood can be used to make pens and other stuff, and she knows that you could make good use of them...???

Either way, I would keep the real thing and look for some half barrels for sale of a non "special" significance and let them have the pot plants if that is what your daughter had in mind...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Mason Kuettel

I'd give you a buck each if you want to make 100% profit!

Great find, i think I would cut them in half vertically and put a flat back of cedar so the wife could plant stuff in a quarter barrell and then use the other quarter for blanks.

NittanyLion

Morton,

It looks like you split one of the planks while unloading. You wouldn't want topsoil spilling out, so you should replace it. A little fake weathering with some rubbed on stain/paint should do the trick. I'm not sure what you'll do with the leftover genuine "split" JDBlank??.?

Mesu

Use one for pens and other as flower pot..

Better yet, make pens and use the money from the sales to buy them nice flower pots :glasses-cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom