I've got the Blues - Pen and Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. Waiting for the paint to dry inside these blanks and on my tubes gave me the blues yesterday, but today I am all better! This is a pen and pencil set that I just finished moments ago. They were made with Blue Titanium plated Cigar kits and Rhino Blue Sky blanks and a Premium Schmidt DSM 2006-7 0.7mm mechanical pencil mechanism all from Bear Tooth Woods. I think they turned out pretty good.

I'm not a seller (yet anyway), but for those of you who are, do you sell many (any) pen and pencil sets or is it just not worth the effort?

Regards,
Dave

PS Although the kits are identical, the pen in the photos appears to be a little shorter or smaller than the pencil due to parallax distortion when I took the pictures.

IMG_1012 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1013 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1014 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are beautiful Dave. I'm intrigued with the pencil, as I always am looking for a good pencil kit. The finished duet is exceptional - well done! Thanks for sharing.

Quite often we (IAP forum members) say thank you for posting, or add a like, but that is a common curtesy and simply being polite. But occasionally the pictures/information posted are very appreciated to display what we can do, and what kits/blanks are available; they are truly helpful for what we can use to improve or update our own practices. This post, at least for me is very much appreciated!

Very nice, and thank you. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Mike P

The blue hardware really suits those blanks. This is a great set. Where did you find the colored hardware?

egnald

The blue hardware really suits those blanks. This is a great set. Where did you find the colored hardware?

I got the pen kits from Bear Tooth Woods (Blue Titanium Cigar), but the kit is also available through Turners Warehouse (Blue Galaxy Cigar). The mechanical pencil is Schmidt DSM2006-7 that I also got from Bear Tooth Woods; however, it is also available from Exotic Blanks.

I am assuming from the name that the base metal is Titanium which has been anodized for the blue color.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

Last edited:

egnald

Those are beautiful Dave. I'm intrigued with the pencil, as I always am looking for a good pencil kit. The finished duet is exceptional - well done! Thanks for sharing.

The kits I used were from Bear Tooth Woods (Blue Titanium Cigar), but they are also available through Turners Warehouse (Blue Galaxy Cigar). The mechanical pencil is a Parker type refill to Pencil converter, Schmidt DSM2006-7 that I also got from Bear Tooth Woods; however, it is also available from Exotic Blanks. I have also used the Schmidt DSM2007 Pencil Mechanism from Exotic Blanks. It is essentially the same as the DSM2006 but with a metal tube rather than a plastic one.

I had to make a slight modification to the plastic pencil conversion kit by sanding off a small ridge at the top of the mechanism so that it would fit into the Cigar tube without interference. (You can see this ridge in the zoomed image below).

The metal pencil conversion kit fits as is right out of the box; however, I had to make a slight modification to the Cigar transmission in order to use it. The plunger in the transmission that extends the ink was just a little too long so the plunger on the pencil mechanism was always in the extended position (the mechanism would not grip the lead for writing). The fix was to disassemble the Cigar transmission and sand about 1/16 of an inch off of the plunger. Afterwards, the mechanism worked flawlessly.

The plastic version is available in 0.5mm and 0.7mm, but the metal one is only available in 0.7mm. (There is also a plastic version for 0.9mm, but I have never tried any because I think the OD of the mechanism is too big to fit in the 10mm tubes).

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

IMG_1016 Cropped.jpg

IMG_1016 Cropped Zoom.jpg

Beautiful set and a great match between hardware & blanks. To answer your question... I don't sell very often and it's always by special request. Most, if not all the time it's for a pen & pencil set. My gut feeling is for shows or if you're building an inventory then the opposite applies, most people are willing to buy a nice pen but maybe not double the cost for a set. That's just a hunch though so we'll see what the folks who regularly do shows or the Etsy thing say.

keithbyrd

Nicely done - The set looks great! Great info on modifying to fit also - thank you.
In about 11 years of making pens I think I have sold 2-3 pen and pencil sets. probably 7-8 rollerball and fountain sets.
I can't remember selling sets off my web site or the few shows I've done. Mostly word of mouth.

Top Bottom