Its Time to do some PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

7miles

Ok guys and gals I think it time I give this casting a try. I know I want to do PR. So where is the best place to get 5 gal. at? I want 5 gal. for plenty of practice, and to buy it in bulk will have to be cheaper.
Also what about pigments what is a good brand and where to buy them? I'm off to HF tomorrow to pick up my PP. I have been picking up the brass over the last week..I've gotten my molds in from gadget. So the ordering the PR is the only thing left to do.

I also want to try dieing blanks. If any one has some info I sure would take it. Like what kind of dye do you use and where do you get it? And do you stabilize at the same time as dieing? Links would be great.

I would like to thank you all for the help

Thanks
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Dale,
Unless you have a source locally where you can pick it up, then the freight on 5 gallons is rather steep. The shipping on 1 gallon from http://www.mrfiberglass.com is $15. I buy 5 gallons from Composites One and pick it up in Ft. Worth when I go through. Here is a link to their store locations: http://www.compositesone.com/locations.htm

Maybe you have a location close to you or another source locally. Do some searching. Silmar 41 is a popular brand. Maybe someone else has better sources. Roy R., aka Oklahoman, also uses PR from Composites One and we both really like how it performs. Good luck.

The best source, as far as I know, of dye is http://www.artstuf.com.

There are several excellent articles in the library for casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by 7miles

Ok guys and gals I think it time I give this casting a try. I know I want to do PR. So where is the best place to get 5 gal. at? I want 5 gal. for plenty of practice, and to buy it in bulk will have to be cheaper.
Also what about pigments what is a good brand and where to buy them? I'm off to HF tomorrow to pick up my PP. I have been picking up the brass over the last week..I've gotten my molds in from gadget. So the ordering the PR is the only thing left to do.

I also want to try dieing blanks. If any one has some info I sure would take it. Like what kind of dye do you use and where do you get it? And do you stabilize at the same time as dieing? Links would be great.

Thanks
Dale

Originally posted by mwenman

Originally posted by Phillip

I purchase my PR from US composites. The are OK and I have never had any trouble with customer service or shipping. Here is a link to the site. Good luck.

http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

If you go thru here, you will want to look at Silmar 41

They also have a small line pigments and don't forget to order some mold release (Stoners, Parafilm, or Mequiars #9). You can save a few $ by getting them all in one place at one time.

US Composites also has real good tech support. Don't be afraid to ask them casting questions as well.

Good Luck.

armyturner

I may be wrong, but I believe if you buy 5 gallons you will have to pay a hefty HAZMAT fee, anything less and you don't get hit with it. I got mine from Mr. Fiberglass as well and was happy with the service.

Originally posted by armyturner

I may be wrong, but I believe if you buy 5 gallons you will have to pay a hefty HAZMAT fee, anything less and you don't get hit with it. I got mine from Mr. Fiberglass as well and was happy with the service.

US Composites charges or passes on the $20 Hazmat fee from UPS on orders of 5 gallons or larger of Polyester resins and gel coats.

Sez so on their order page.
https://onyx.he.net/~shopman/orders.html

You can always ask them for 2 quotes with shipping. One quote for an order of 4 gals and one quote for an order with a 5 gal pail. Then buy the one with the true cost savings, not just the cheaper.

ones

Dale, I just ordered from us composits, I used the other 2 gallons up already!
Price for S41500 $124.00
Shipping: $54.52 (includes hazmat charge)
Total: $178.52

7miles

I was just on the phone with US Composites I found that, to order 5 gal. would cost $131.50+$52.20=$183.70 that includes shipping and HAZMAT fee.

I also asked for the cost on 5, 1 gal. cans.
1 gal. $32.5x5=$162.5
Shipping and hazmat was $11.63x5=$58.15+$162.15=$220.65

I think if a guy can do it 5 gal. looks like the best way to go, you can save $36.95.

Now thats US Composites. I'm still waiting to here back from Composites One, and MR. Fiberglass. I hoping Composites One is cheaper on the shipping and the hazmat fee. Beings they are in Arlington Heights, Illinois.

I know that 5 Gal is a lot, but I need a big learning curve.

Don (its_virgil) Thanks for the PR Article, there is some great stuff in there.

Thanks
Dale

ones

Yes, 5 gal. We could make a trip up to Woodstock sometime and get some to save shipping, considering gas prices!:)
I also checked mr. fiberglass and it was 181.44 shipped to me. Pretty close on prices.
I think you will use every bit of that 5 gallons Dale! I know I sure enjoy casting and wondering what will turn out. I used 2 gallons since x-mas.

7miles

Very good Kevin, a trip might be needed some time.

I don't think I will have a problem getting thru 5 gal. Hell I got so many ideas running around my head, 5 gal. might not do it for me [:0][:0][:0]

OKLAHOMAN

Dale,Don is correct as we both use Composites one PR and have had great success with it and we both buy 5 gal. at a time.
Originally posted by its_virgil

Dale,
Unless you have a source locally where you can pick it up, then the freight on 5 gallons is rather steep. The shipping on 1 gallon from http://www.mrfiberglass.com is $15. I buy 5 gallons from Composites One and pick it up in Ft. Worth when I go through. Here is a link to their store locations: http://www.compositesone.com/locations.htm

Maybe you have a location close to you or another source locally. Do some searching. Silmar 41 is a popular brand. Maybe someone else has better sources. Roy R., aka Oklahoman, also uses PR from Composites One and we both really like how it performs. Good luck.

The best source, as far as I know, of dye is http://www.artstuf.com.

There are several excellent articles in the library for casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by 7miles

Thanks
Dale

I tried to get resin from Composites One as their "local" warehouse was closer than US Composites.

Composites One CSR swore they didn't carry any Silmar 41, or clear thick casting Polyester, and if they did they only sold resins in 55 gal drums. I tossed the towel on them and went with US Composites and have been happy, especially with their tech help. It's just a phone call away. And if I really need advise on resins the surfboard factory dist, which stocks most of the Silmar products (except S41) is 12 blocks down my street and just around the corner.

7miles

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

I tried to get resin from Composites One as their "local" warehouse was closer than US Composites.

Composites One CSR swore they didn't carry any Silmar 41, or clear thick casting Polyester, and if they did they only sold resins in 55 gal drums. I tossed the towel on them and went with US Composites and have been happy, especially with their tech help. It's just a phone call away. And if I really need advise on resins the surfboard factory dist, which stocks most of the Silmar products (except S41) is 12 blocks down my street and just around the corner.

I just got the same thing.......I don't think the local sales rep. knows for sure what he sales. He could have just not wanted to mess with just 5 gal. I tell you I would of much rather he had said that then to play dumb.

Dale

Phillip

If you are going to add pigment to this PR you may want to visit your local Hobby Lobby. I purchased several different PR pigments from them fairly cheap. If you need a color in a pinch they are the ones to visit. Don't let the size of the bottles fool you, a couple drops of pigment go a long way. They also sell PR resin in a quart can for a hefty price. Just FYI.

Top Bottom