It's five o'cast somewhere

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

Actually it's 7:20 but who's counting!
This is the latest in my ever learning experiences of mixing wood and resin. This started off as a natural edge slab of spalted maple with a big knot hole in the middle of it. I realized that it would fit in one of my molds so I mixed up a bunch of Alumilite and copper mica powder and cast it. Once it was removed from the mold I ran it through the drum sander till it was flat and smooth. I then sanded it to 800 then buffed and waxed it. After starring at it for awhile trying to figure out what it could be used for I decided it would make an interesting clock.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

I just casted a pine cone blank and it was around 5 O'clock over here. My pine cone may not be quite dry enough as it foamed but just a little and bubbled so I sat here poking the bubbles with a tooth pick. It's still in the mold so we'll see how it will turn out. Your clock looks great. That was a lot of alumilite you casted. How big is it? You did a great job on it and yes it is an interesting piece. Great job! oh I forgot you mentioned you casted over the wood. Fay

MarkD

The piece is 9" diameter. If I remember correctly I mixed 20 ounces of alumilite which I expected was too much but it's hard to determine how much you will need for the weird shaped objects. It turns out that I had enough left over to pour a few pens blanks.

flyitfast

Besides agreeing with everyone on the beauty and unusual design of the piece, I have say something about the photography. Maybe it is my eyes, but there is a really great 3D effect in the picture. How did you achieve that?
Thanks for showing.
Gordon

MarkD

Are you wearing 3-d glasses? :confused:
I wish I could say that I have some mad photography skills, but I can assure you that any 3-d effects are purely coincidental. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Nice work.. Just a little insight, the reason clocks are shown with the time usually at 10:10 is because the hands form a Happy Face. The way you have them set it looks like a sad face. Just a photography thing. Something for those that make watch pens. :)

MarkD

Thanks for the insight John. I was not aware of that piece of info but I can see your reasoning behind it! I set the hands in this position to be able to see the interesting shapes and colors near the top of the knot.

MarkD

"Looks like a big 'ol dragon eyeball. COOL!! "

Thanks, That's exactly the look I was going for :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom