It's air compressor time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

After 25 years, my Campbell-Hausfeld 2HP 6-gallon compressor is about to bite the dust. I'm hearing a "knocking" sound every time it runs for more than 30 seconds.

I keep seeing all kinds of recommendations for California Air Tools compressors here on the site, and I'd thought of ordering one. That is, until I came across this compressor at Home Depot:

Husky 4.5 Gal. Portable Electric-Powered Silent Air Compressor

Max Pressure = 175 PSI
4.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI
3.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI
Noise Level less than 65dBA
3-Year Limited Warranty

The specs look good. In fact, they look as good if not better than the CAT-4610 model. Price is comparable, and the warranty on the Husky is 3 years as opposed to 1 year on the CAT model.

Anybody have experience with the Husky, or a general opinion before I pull the trigger on it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Since my husband wanted to do HVLP spraying, we bought a 60 gallon Industrial Tools air compressor from Northern Tool bought through Amazon. It was on special for $440! It is 12 years old and has never given us any problems.

Last edited:

gtriever

Look at the California or Rollair compressors. Both are more quiet

It depends on the model. The one I'm looking at is rated at 65dB. The California compressors range from 60 - 70dB; a comparable Rollair is rated at 79dB.

Edit: I went ahead and placed an order for one. With HD's return policy, I can always return it if it doesn't perform to expectations...

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I was just about ready to buy a CAT-4610, but this Husky deserves a close look. The Husky is 175psi max vs 120 for the CAT. The Husky is ~70lb vs ~45 for the CAT (which has alum tanks). A couple years ago, HD was selling the "Silent Air" compressor which had alum tanks and was pretty much a total copy of the CAT, but they don't sell that any more. I wonder if they had durability problems with the alum tanks.

toddlf

I have had the "California Air Tools CAT-4620AC Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 2.0 hp 4.0 gallon Aluminum Twin Tank Electric Portable Air Compressor, Silver" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SOD08M) for just over a year. It is very quiet and it keeps up with my tools very well. I don't use it for much more than nailers and blowing the shavings out of my bowls, but I am very happy.

Ed McDonnell

I bought a small 1hp 60db 35lbs CAT compressor to use on small jobs. A couple days after the 1 year warranty was up it started making a metallic ringing noise during the last half of the fill cycle. Could be a head gasket or valve issue. I figured I would just run it into the ground and then replace it with something different after it died. 5 years later it's still running, although louder than 60db with the ringing noise. In addition to the annoying noise, the drain plug is in a very inconvenient location and hard to use.

I would not buy another CAT compressor. I'll be looking forward to your review of the Husky.

Ed

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I pulled the trigger. My HD had two of them. That handle is extendable. Nice for me to move from the shed to the driveway. Thanks Art!

gtriever

I pulled the trigger. My HD had two of them. That handle is extendable. Nice for me to move from the shed to the driveway. Thanks Art!

Dale, glad I could help. I'm still waiting on delivery. My HD showed (1) in stock. Got there, they had (0) and couldn't remember when they'd ever had one. Ordered online and they promised delivery by Saturday; now that's been kicked back until at least Monday.

That's three times in the past 2 months I've gone there to pick up something showing In Stock and they haven't had it. Every time they say that they haven't had "item x" in several months and just haven't updated the inventory. With my local store dropping most of the Ridgid line and these problems, I'm coming to the conclusion that just like The Old Grey Mare, HD ain't what it used to be.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well there's some bad luck. Sorry to hear this. Guess I was lucky. I haven't even plugged it in yet. But, going out there later. I'll try it out.

Rounder

I have the Kobalt 26 gal. compressor. It is almost as quite as the California Air 5510 5 gal. I had. It burnt up. That model is NOT designed for continuous use. Went out of town and had an unknown leak. It melted. If you get the CAT make sure it is designed for the use you need.
The Kobalt was $260 at Lowe's and has worked well for me.

gtriever

My order finally arrived. I made one change; I bought the Extended Tank Drain Hose since the valve on the compressor was a bit hard to get to for this old man. I also changed out the lead-in hose on my 3/8 hose reel while I was at it. I agree with Dale, this thing is super quiet!

Top Bottom