It's a mad, mad, mad, mad... pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

First off, if insanity were a pen, I think this would be it. There's a lot going on with this look in multiple shades of dyed wood and a crazy poured blank. It brings Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter character to mind. While I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet, I do really like the finished product.

I did not make the blank. I did, however, make the custom band and finial. This is the first custom band insert that I've done outside of slims and I'm very happy with it as such. The band was a delicate job, though not quite as much as I had expected. Then again, the wood was stabilized. I used good old Tightbond wood glue to mount the leftover piece of the blank to a piece of scrap cherry and then spun it in the pen jaws. Rounded it down to maybe 3 mm wider than the final product before "drilling" out the middle with a skew (There's probably a better tool for that, huh?). I pretty much just took some shavings off the inside walls until the plastic insert from the cap just slipped in and then carefully sheared the outside down to size with carbide.

The kit is a Diamond Knurl in gunmetal. The finish is several layers of GluBoost, sanded/polished with Zona and then some Mequier's plastic polish. The blank had the Alumilite resin sandwiched between the ends, but the band and finial are made of just the dyed wood. I expected a little more contrast between the band and the barrels, but there's so much contrast here that it hardly even shows.

openX1.jpg

OpenL.jpg

OpenR.jpg

Front.jpg

back.jpg

openX.jpg

openXL.jpg

band.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful, I really like the custom band and finial! Sweet accents for all the rest of the artistry. The blank is very appealing, but your custom work really puts this in a different level - well done! 👏 👏 👏

sorcerertd

Thank you all. I'm learning and experimenting and learning some more. You all keep me full of ideas and goals.

My one nitpick is that the main barrel of the cap has a slight shoulder in it that causes it to not meet up with the metal ring well. Nothing shows a flaw in a pen like a larger than life picture! I may yet take a little off of it, we'll see.

Fred Bruche

Well done Todd! I agree, those bands seem quite a challenge, but not as bad when you get to it. And quite a few broke on me when using wood that was not stabilized, sometimes you win, sometimes you learn 😅

Top Bottom