It would be nice if...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It would be nice and helpful if vendors would leave instruction sheets of discontinued kits on their websites. Most kits are intuitive in their assembly and preparation but a few are not. I also would like for the tube lengths and diameters to be on the instructions. That is all.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Great suggestions, Don!

Instructions for most discontinued kits are available in the Bushings & Tubes App.

its_virgil

Thanks. I can't seem to find that info on the Bushings and Tubes App. Doesn't seem to be a very user friendly app or it could just be me... I can't find any info on any of the Havana kits and others. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad, just an android phone which may be the issue.
Don

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks. I can't seem to find that info on the Bushings and Tubes App. Doesn't seem to be a very user friendly app or it could just be me... I can't find any info on any of the Havana kits and others. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad, just an android phone which may be the issue.
Don
The Havana is in the app database; unfortunately, we don't have an Android programmer right now, so it's only available for iPhone & iPad at the present time.

If anyone knows of an Android programmer who would be willing to help us out, please let me know. I don't think it would take too much to update the Android app to use our new IAP server.

Let me know what kits you need info on and I'll be glad to post their instructions if I have them.

KenB259

It would be nice and helpful if vendors would leave instruction sheets of discontinued kits on their websites. Most kits are intuitive in their assembly and preparation but a few are not. I also would like for the tube lengths and diameters to be on the instructions. That is all.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Doesn't help you now, but whenever I buy a different kit, I download and print out the instructions and keep them in a binder for future reference.

sbwertz

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I really agree. We have a lot of donated kits at the blind center, and some of them are old, and don't have turning/assembly instructions in them. So far I've been able to get copies of the instructions, either online or from someone here at IAP. (Thank you to all of you who have supported us for the last seven years!) I just found out that we are the largest and most successful blind turning project in the US. It is slower since the pandemic shut us down, because the center still is not fully operational yet, but I am kept busy...especially since I don't have anyone to help me yet! One of my best helpers from before the pandemic died of cancer last month. Miss him so much. He was partially blind, but was still my "right hand man" for many years.

Woodchipper

I don't have kits that I would consider old but, if instructions are available, cut and past to Word and print. I have a file folder with instructions listed in alphabetical order, no matter what the kit.

sbwertz

I don't have kits that I would consider old but, if instructions are available, cut and past to Word and print. I have a file folder with instructions listed in alphabetical order, no matter what the kit.
I have a loose leaf notebook at the blind center with the instruction sheets in it!

jttheclockman

Now I will take a different approach here. We as pen turners probably have turned and assembled multiple of kits over the years and they basically are all the same. yes there are some odd ones especially the gadget ones but I would think it would be rather easy to figure out the assembly especially a Havana which seems to be a cigar style pen. Now knowing the tube size is another problem if you only have a kit without tubes. I think what Wayne and Edgar have done to secure most kits dimensions over the years is to be applauded. If you want to bring up wishes than I wish the vendors that sell the kits do make their list of any kits they sell over the years. Also would like to see them write the kits their bushings are used for and that includes all of them. New kit come along then change the label. Nice to just take in the money but would be nice to also help the buyer. Most vendors are pen turners as well and they should be aware of problems like this so why not correct them.

Mortalis

This thread has it attached also

its_virgil

Thanks. I do not need instructions. I need tube sizes for the Havana Ballpoint. I have a large selection of tubes but the Havana tubes seem to be an odd ball. The lower tube for the ballpoint uses a 27/64 drill bit but the sierra tube will not work. The rollerball has a different size lower tube. I am willing to purchase tubes is anyone has tubes for the ballpoint or rollerball. The Berea El Presidente kit tubes will also work for the rollerball.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom