IT’S OVER

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Liquid diet Monday, colonoscopy prep half the night, colonoscopy this morning. I'm tired and thankful I'm good for another 5 years. This was my third, family history dictates it. New prep for me this time, 24 tablets and plain water in two sessions, 12 pills each. It's an important test, no need for embarrassment, if you're of age, get it done. As my dr said today, if you have a colon, you're at risk. Just do it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

November, 2023 for me. Diverticulitis runs rampant on my mother's side. 8/10/ 2020 emergency surgery to remove bowel blockage. Ken B, I second the motion!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm scheduled for October. I have previous history, as well as family history. I'll ask about the new prep - I was unaware of it, so much thanks for sharing your procedure as it may be helpful to me. My wife had surgery earlier today for positive melanoma. Tumor taken out and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Life is a circus after the age of 60... YES, guys, gals... watch yourselves!

KenB259

I'm scheduled for October. I have previous history, as well as family history. I'll ask about the new prep - I was unaware of it, so much thanks for sharing your procedure as it may be helpful to me. My wife had surgery earlier today for positive melanoma. Tumor taken out and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Life is a circus after the age of 60... YES, guys, gals... watch yourselves!
Mark the prep I had is called SUTAB. This was the best one Iv'e had to do so far. You still have to drink a lot of liquid, but this one's just water.

egnald

Had mine last month. The prep was awful as usual. Mine was just magnesium citrate along with plenty of clear liquids. Had a polyp removed down by my appendix. This was the first time I have ever had any after effects other than just being hungry. I had an achey spot and felt bloated for about three days. Just glad it's over for a few years. - Dave

sorcerertd

I've had a couple and, for me, the hardest part for me was not eating. Not that any of it was pleasant. One of those times, my prep was done with virgin margaritas from the blender with whatever special ingredient the VA gave me. The last time around, for some unknown reason, pretty much all of the gas came out in one ridiculously long fart. My wife wondered if I lifted off. You really wanted to know that, right?

duncsuss

I went for my sixth colonoscopy last Friday. Had them every 5 years since my sister was diagnosed with (and successfully treated for) colon cancer.

This was the best anesthesiologist I've had so far - wished me sweet dreams and the next words I heard were "you awake now?" - and no hangover.

It was made a little more exciting than usual, at 3 PM on Thursday we got a "Boil Water" order because E.coli had been detected in the town water supply ... and I'd spent the entire day consuming nothing but clear liquids and green Jello (made with the possibly contanimated water) :rolleyes:

Since my gut settled down by Sunday I think one side-effect of the prep was that any E.coli bugs I might have taken in were flushed out of my system before they had a chance to get comfortable and cause mischief.

As others have said: it's not particularly pleasant, but do it - your life may depend on it.

jttheclockman

Mine next year along with stress test. This year I have to deal with cancer in the Parotid gland. Not looking forward to that surgery. Probably next month. I need to get a few things done in the house if I can get the floor guys to refinish my floors. Will be laid up for awhile so fall will be a my chosen time to have it.

renichols

Earlier this month I had # 20 or 21 I lost count. Since nothing has change in the past 10 or 11 years other than I'm older and grumpier I told them this is the last one. I'm still missing about 15" of colon and still have all 3 IBS besides I think they have enough pictures of my backside now :)

I've only had one colonoscopy and that was over 25 years ago... it was done in the doctor's office and without anesthetic... thing I remember most was how cold the table was and how big the garden hose felt.... doctors ask me when my last one was, I tell them 20+ years ago and they make a note and don't take it any further. I'll be 81 on Monday so I guess they figure it doesn't matter since I probably won't be around much longer... gonna fool them though, planning to live to 109.... might even make it as longevity runs in the family.

Shame I'm not where they could do it this morning, woke with the green apple two step and by now I'm pretty well cleaned out.

monophoto

My gastroenterologist is originally from Brooklyn - and has both the accent and the attitude. His summary when it's over - 'you're a perfect a**hole'. And he says it with a big grin.

Which is another way of saying that it's nothing to be embarrassed about, and offers lots of opportunity for humor. I'm scheduled for #12 next year - kinda looking forward to it.

As to prep - I prefer Suprep. The night before: one cup of the nasty stuff followed by three cups of plain water, and stay close to the bathroom. Then, six hours before the procedure, repeat the process.

No matter how unpleasant the prep might be, colon cancer is much worse. As Nike said - just do it.

Last edited:

gimpy

Hi folks, back in the early 20's I had peritonitis , which means I was septic. I literally had a few hours to live I was cut from stem to stern. (2 times) after my first surgery I didn't wake up for 10 days. I was told I had a seed caught in a out pouch of my colon and the gases was was filling up in my cavity. When I woke up 10 days later I noticed I had a colonoscopy bag hanging from my side. I was fortunate to have it reversed 6 months later. So I now have
Diverticulitis, I can't have any with seeds , nuts or rabbit food. I think that's enough for now

Larryreitz

I'm 78 and scheduled to have my last colonoscopy in early November. I asked the Dr. why they stop doing the procedure on people over 80 and was told that once you get over that age complications due the the anesthesia they use are more likely.

Don Rabchenuk

Diverticulitis led to E. coli and a fistula (colon and bladder grew together). Dr. punctured my lung trying to put in a port for antibiotics. Surgery to remove 18" of colon and repair my bladder. Get it done.

sbwertz

I've had a couple and, for me, the hardest part for me was not eating. Not that any of it was pleasant. One of those times, my prep was done with virgin margaritas from the blender with whatever special ingredient the VA gave me. The last time around, for some unknown reason, pretty much all of the gas came out in one ridiculously long fart. My wife wondered if I lifted off. You really wanted to know that, right?
I'm hypoglycemic, so I also have a problem with not eating. I found a clear protein drink I was able to use without a problem and managed to keep my blood sugar under control.

Top Bottom