Issues With Embedded Labels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

malonjw

Last week I posted a question under Casting & Stabilization. I should have made new thread so here it is.

I cannot remember a more frustrating project then trying to embed labels and have them come out better than a first grader. Here is where I am so far. At the present I am using Alumilite Resin for pen casting. At first I tried some labels from onlinelabels.com. I bought a thing glossy photo paper and found the resin does evil things to the photo papers. Then I tried Modpoge and this ruined the label right off. No need to wait! Now this is crazy but I bought some clear shrink tubing and that stopped any damage to the paper, except on the ends of the tube. Apparently my sealing job wasn't good enough to keep the resin from getting under the shrink tubing. Plan #54 was buying some waterproof labels that are also glossy (no shrink tubing). Now I have a different problem. I turned down one of my castings and it has little white streaks like maybe the resin is attacking these waterproof labels also. So I may not go broke trying this procedure if someone doesn't have a better method. At this point does anyone been very successful with printing inkjet labels and then applying them to a brass pen barrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

(Saw the answer to my question while re-reading your post.)

I had lots of the same troubles when starting out, but I'm using PR. I finally found that wrapping the whole blank in packing tape and folding the ends of the tape into the tube worked, kinda well. Discovered my problem was PR doesn't like laser printing, switched to inkjet and solved that.

If you're under pressure to get something finished for a customer, that might help. If not, Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303 is a good sealant and used by many casters.

Last edited:

malonjw

Thanks for your help.

I do believe I can now make a quality pen blank, and to the gentleman that suggested using packaging tape to seal the ends. That was my last hurdle in making a good pen barrel. Thanks so very much for your help. That trick worked incredibly well!!
Jerry....

thewishman

I do believe I can now make a quality pen blank, and to the gentleman that suggested using packaging tape to seal the ends. That was my last hurdle in making a good pen barrel. Thanks so very much for your help. That trick worked incredibly well!!
Jerry....

I'm so happy that worked for you.:)

Just about every person that casts has had some kind of roadblock. I finally got past my problem, but this worked as a stepping stone for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Clear-P...UTF8&qid=1516206284&sr=1-1&keywords=duck+tape

bryceprusse

You need to seal the label so it will not run. Spray a clear coat over the label and let it dry over night. Two coats works best, let it dry inbetween coasts. After this has been done you will not have those problems anymore.
I like Krylon colormaster cover MAX. acrylic crystal clear, GLOSS

longbeard

You need to seal the label so it will not run. Spray a clear coat over the label and let it dry over night. Two coats works best, let it dry inbetween coasts. After this has been done you will not have those problems anymore.
I like Krylon colormaster cover MAX. acrylic crystal clear, GLOSS

Not to be argumentative...
Unless you are using Silmar 41 (PR) or Avery shipping labels, there is no need to seal the label before casting.
You can use Alumilite, Liquid Diamonds and West Epoxy resins WITH the weatherproof labels and do not have to seal them.

I use West Epoxy & weatherproof labels.
Print, cut, wrap and cast.
Same with Alumilite & LD

Harry

joe966

I use PR abd mailing labels. I print the image on the label wrap tge tube and pour the resin. I almost never have a problem with it. Once in awhile the seam will start to lift. Just make sure to run a pick across the seam.

longbeard

I use PR abd mailing labels. I print the image on the label wrap tge tube and pour the resin. I almost never have a problem with it. Once in awhile the seam will start to lift. Just make sure to run a pick across the seam.

How does your seam look if you're not sealing them?

Harry

jkeith

I use alumilite clear and online labels OL177WJ matte weather proof labels with my canon inkjet printer. Print, cut, wrap, & cast. No sealing, and no issues at all. Seam stays tight, no wrinkles and I cast almost immediately after wrapping.

dbechtol

I also use alumilite and do not seal. I have tried spraying with lacquer, dipping in lacquer, spraying with the stuff that comes in the kit. Then went back to simply printing on Avery labels using a laser jet printer. I let them sit after I print the, for 24 hours then wrap the tubes and cast them. 90% of the time it works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

DJBPenmaker

I also use alumilite and do not seal. I have tried spraying with lacquer, dipping in lacquer, spraying with the stuff that comes in the kit. Then went back to simply printing on Avery labels using a laser jet printer. I let them sit after I print the, for 24 hours then wrap the tubes and cast them. 90% of the time it works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Be interesting to know what problems you had with the 10%.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jas46

With these waterproof labels and alumilte clear can the labels be cut down in size and still be fine when pouring ?
Jas

JohnU

With these waterproof labels and alumilte clear can the labels be cut down in size and still be fine when pouring ?
Jas

Yes, I buy the full sheet label so I can print and cut them any size I need ,that will fit on a full sheet of paper. The only problem I've had with them have been if I misaligned them and needed to peel them back off the tube and restick them. They don't always stick down real well the second time and I've had a few seams lift up a bit in resin. Here are some photos I printed on the weatherproof decal paper under alumilite clear.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...06-phoenix-rn-duck-queen-hearts-boys-boys.jpg

Last edited:

jas46

Jas

Yes, I buy the full sheet label so I can print and cut them any size I need ,that will fit on a full sheet of paper. The only problem I've had with them have been if I misaligned them and needed to peel them back off the tube and restick them. They don't always stick down real well the second time and I've had a few seams lift up a bit in resin. Here are some photos I printed on the weatherproof decal paper under alumilite clear.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...06-phoenix-rn-duck-queen-hearts-boys-boys.jpg

Thanks mate just what I wanted to hear I'm having a nightmare with modge podge and alumilte
What is the best label sheet to get mate polyester or polyethylene labels?

Thanks

jas46

Thanks mate I can't find that in the UK and I'm using a laser printer but from what I've read a waterproof label should do the trick

Top Bottom