ISO Segmenting Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

You need to supply some information about what segmenting you want to do.
Will you be cutting on a table saw, a band saw, a scroll saw, a mitre saw???
Will you be making straight cuts, angled cuts?
What angles?
You should be able to find good segmenting information in the Library.
A suggestion.... if you see a segmented pen which you admire why not contact the maker and ask them to send you a photograph of the jigs that they used.
I say jigs as you need a fair number of them.
Hope this helps.

jttheclockman

Yes! I need a jig that I can use to put & hold segmented pieces together to make a segmented pen blank.
A little confused with this statement. As Alan said alot more info is needed to be of help. There are many different styles of segmenting too so each one can be its own challenge and require its own clamping method to go along with own cutting methods. But if you are looking for some standard segmenting with end rings and things like this then I suggest the best jig for clamping is a trusty old piece of angle material. I like to go to home depot and get their aluminum angle. You can get in various sizes and widths. But 1" always works well. Place some wax paper on it and make all the pieces and then clamp against the angle. Here is an example of one that I do.

Copy of IMGP0553.JPG
IMGP0072.JPG

PENfinity

You need to supply some information about what segmenting you want to do.
Will you be cutting on a table saw, a band saw, a scroll saw, a mitre saw???
Will you be making straight cuts, angled cuts?
What angles?
You should be able to find good segmenting information in the Library.
A suggestion.... if you see a segmented pen which you admire why not contact the maker and ask them to send you a photograph of the jigs that they used.
I say jigs as you need a fair number of them.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for asking... I currently use a WEN bandsaw (but thinking about upgrading to a Laguna). I am interested in cutting any kind of angles and shapes from curved, diagonal, straight, etc. I like your recommendation to contact the maker (which I have done several times with two excellent reknown pen makers, but can't seem to get a response from either of them).

PENfinity

Thanks to ALL for your input. I have tried to reach out to at least two reknown pen turners, (1 of which has actually made this kind of jig, and the other who has the capability to do so), but surprisingly I cannot seem to receive a response back from either of them. Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of what the segmenting jig would look like and I have tried to look for some online but to no avail.

So if anyone has the experience or knows someone who knows someone and can share the info, it is greatly appreciated.

dogcatcher

My glue assembly jig is a 90 degree block of HDPE like Jt the clock man. With a lot of clamps like his. I have a lot of small pieces of HDPE for clamp aids

For cutting the pieces I prefer my homemade sled with precut angle pieces on a table saw. My saw is a pre World War 2 saw from Sears with a thin Diablo plywood blade.

Alan Morrison

If you havent already check out the Library segmenting section.
Mark James has an excellent series on segmenting some showing some of his jigs.
If you have a mitre guage for your bandsaw then try putting on a sacrificial fence and clamp your blank to it.
You will get practice cutting at different angles.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you have a pict of a pen, or link to a pen that you would like to create. There are all kinds of segments and merely saying Angled, straight and curved doesn't help us help you. Most of us do not start machines that make certain kinds of segments and then make a pen because of what our machine makes; Rather, we Start with wanting to make a particular pen with certain design and then make the jig to make the segment. And there are different ways to make certain segments. BUT the design of pen blank that we want - determines or dictates what kind or type of jig to use.

So, if you can, please give us a link or pict of the pen(s) you want to accomplish. We have plenty of accomplished and professional pen turners and pen makers here that can help.

Do you want herringbone, bricks, Celtic knots, stripes, chevrons, or other? And there are much more kinds of segments - there are all kinds of segments and different jigs for each type.

Last edited:

PENfinity

Do you have a pict of a pen, or link to a pen that you would like to create. There are all kinds of segments and merely saying Angled, straight and curved doesn't help us help you. Most of us do not start machines that make certain kinds of segments and then make a pen because of what our machine makes; Rather, we Start with wanting to make a particular pen with certain design and then make the jig to make the segment. And there are different ways to make certain segments. BUT the design of pen blank that we want - determines or dictates what kind or type of jig to use.

So, if you can, please give us a link or pict of the pen(s) you want to accomplish. We have plenty of accomplished and professional pen turners and pen makers here that can help.

Do you want herringbone, bricks, Celtic knots, stripes and much more, - there are all kinds of segments and different jigs for each type.
Hey thanks for the insight. No I do not have any particular pen blanks in mind. I was just thinking that I could have a jig made to make any kind of segmented pieces I wish...or at least use it as a good starting point to begin with.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hey thanks for the insight. No I do not have any particular pen blanks in mind. I was just thinking that I could have a jig made to make any kind of segmented pieces I wish...or at least use it as a good starting point to begin with.
There is no "one jig" for all kinds. Each type will usually use different jigs.

PENfinity

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is the order for the proper jig:

1. Figure out which type of pen blank you want to make. Choose that.
2. Make a note of what kind of tools you have. Table saw? Band saw? Byrnes saw? Byrnes or other thickness sander?
THEN:
3. Look/search for making a Jig for XXXX.

Making segments depends upon 1. What type of blank/pen you want to make, 2. the tools you have, then a jig to fit the tools you have.

For example, here is a jig I made for different thicknesses of wood segments:

PENfinity

Here is the order for the proper jig:

1. Figure out which type of pen blank you want to make. Choose that.
2. Make a note of what kind of tools you have. Table saw? Band saw? Byrnes saw? Byrnes or other thickness sander?
THEN:
3. Look/search for making a Jig for XXXX.

Making segments depends upon 1. What type of blank/pen you want to make, 2. the tools you have, then a jig to fit the tools you have.

For example, here is a jig I made for different thicknesses of wood segments:
Okay thank you

Top Bottom