ISO A Segmenting Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Rabchenuk

If you are looking to segment bowls or vases and such I would highly recommend the sled above by Peter Marken it is a very well made sled. I purchased none this past summer and have used it to make several Beads os Courage boxes.

Attachments

• 337E1016-B934-4597-AD6F-9F0DB07A2248_1_201_a.jpeg
    337E1016-B934-4597-AD6F-9F0DB07A2248_1_201_a.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 59
  • CA7CB6DE-A2E0-42A5-B7E7-E4BFF9378293.jpeg
    CA7CB6DE-A2E0-42A5-B7E7-E4BFF9378293.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 67
  • A14E6D9A-7100-437E-8E49-F728B868A305.jpeg
    A14E6D9A-7100-437E-8E49-F728B868A305.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 4CCC382D-E06C-433B-A339-8F87CC52E329.jpeg
    4CCC382D-E06C-433B-A339-8F87CC52E329.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 53

PENfinity

If you are looking to segment bowls or vases and such I would highly recommend the sled above by Peter Marken it is a very well made sled. I purchased none this past summer and have used it to make several Beads os Courage boxes.
Thank you. Those bowls are beautiful. At this current time I am only interested in making pens.

PENfinity

So my original post inquiry was asking if anyone makes these... While I appreciate all of the sharing of information is there ANYONE who makes a sled jig and willing to actually SELL? Since I'm still just a newbie and trying to perfect pen making I really do not have the time and energy to put into making jigs because my focus is turning pens at this time and perfecting my craft. I know I have a long ways to go, and maybe later I'll get the opportunity to expand, but in the interim I'm seeking things like this that will help me to advance. Thank you.

jttheclockman

So my original post inquiry was asking if anyone makes these... While I appreciate all of the sharing of information is there ANYONE who makes a sled jig and willing to actually SELL? Since I'm still just a newbie and trying to perfect pen making I really do not have the time and energy to put into making jigs because my focus is turning pens at this time and perfecting my craft. I know I have a long ways to go, and maybe later I'll get the opportunity to expand, but in the interim I'm seeking things like this that will help me to advance. Thank you.
Now please do not take this the wrong way. But if you ask many segmenters here, probably the most fun they have is making jigs and figuring things out on their own. As shown there are a ton of examples of cutting jigs for both tablesaw and bandsaw. the last link put up by Andy shows a simple as simple can get jig for making cuts on a bandsaw with minimal materials. If you can not make that jig then I am doubting your ability to make segmented pens. Each jig is tuned to YOUR saw. There are jigs sold by Woodcraft and others that will do all angles but they are not cheap. I own a set of these Duby sleds (https://www.in-lineindustries.com/products/dubby-the-original-table-saw-sled/)and they are dead on accurate and all but expensive. Yes I own them but still chose to make hand made built sleds for my pen segmenting needs. Rockler has some nice ones Infinity has, Powertech has. Just google sleds for tablesaw or bandsaw and you will see a ton of them. Some use a miter gauge and some have built in miter gauge or miter fences. Have at it. What works for one does not work for all. Many models just like buying a car. Good luck. Here is one of mine. For tablesaw because I find that saw to be the most accurate. I believe it was KenB259 who showed in a thread the many variety of sleds he has made and I am sure that list has grown since he posted. Look him up. As I said making jigs is the fun part. You will need jigs to glue the segments. You will need jigs to cut segments and not all can be done on one jig. Sorry.

By the way here is the pens that went with that type of blanks.

IMGP0970.JPG
Copy of IMGP0993.JPG

Last edited:

PENfinity

I made my own, is this what you need...

View attachment 348350View attachment 348351

I'm not in the sled business but feel free to copy it.

Now please do not take this the wrong way. But if you ask many segmenters here, probably the most fun they have is making jigs and figuring things out on their own. As shown there are a ton of examples of cutting jigs for both tablesaw and bandsaw. the last link put up by Andy shows a simple as simple can get jig for making cuts on a bandsaw with minimal materials. If you can not make that jig then I am doubting your ability to make segmented pens. Each jig is tuned to YOUR saw. There are jigs sold by Woodcraft and others that will do all angles but they are not cheap. I own a set of these Duby sleds (https://www.in-lineindustries.com/products/dubby-the-original-table-saw-sled/)and they are dead on accurate and all but expensive. Yes I own them but still chose to make hand made built sleds for my pen segmenting needs. Rockler has some nice ones Infinity has, Powertech has. Just google sleds for tablesaw or bandsaw and you will see a ton of them. Some use a miter gauge and some have built in miter gauge or miter fences. Have at it. What works for one does not work for all. Many models just like buying a car. Good luck. Here is one of mine. For tablesaw because I find that saw to be the most accurate. I believe it was KenB259 who showed in a thread the many variety of sleds he has made and I am sure that list has grown since he posted. Look him up. As I said making jigs is the fun part. You will need jigs to glue the segments. You will need jigs to cut segments and not all can be done on one jig. Sorry.

By the way here is the pens that went with that type of blanks.

View attachment 348359View attachment 348360
No offense taken and thank you for the information. Your pen is absolutely beautiful!

ramaroodle

As shown there are a ton of examples of cutting jigs for both tablesaw and bandsaw. the last link put up by Andy shows a simple as simple can get jig for making cuts on a bandsaw with minimal materials.
Actually, mine is for the table saw (as I recall). I have found that the rigid thin kerf TS blade gives a more precise cut than the bandsaw jigs I have made. (which should let you know that I've made more than one before settling on this one, which I haven't used in a couple of years). Bandsaw blades tend to deflect when cutting. I tend to jump in with both feet and figure out a way to do something then store it away knowing that I have the technology and can pull it out when needed.

I hear ya when you refer to the effort needed to DIY it vs buying a jig. I just don't know if I've ever seen a commercially built segmenting jig. It usually takes a few days to design, build, test, modify, rinse and repeat.

KenB259

One of the more important nuggets of knowledge you should take from this thread it the fact that jigs have to be pretty much made specifically for any given piece of equipment. I couldn't make you a sled for your saw based on my saw that would be accurate to your saw. Sorry but you're going to have to slow down a bit and make your own jigs.

PENfinity

One of the more important nuggets of knowledge you should take from this thread it the fact that jigs have to be pretty much made specifically for any given piece of equipment. I couldn't make you a sled for your saw based on my saw that would be accurate to your saw. Sorry but you're going to have to slow down a bit and make your own jigs.
I like your signature at the bottom.

PENfinity

Actually, mine is for the table saw (as I recall). I have found that the rigid thin kerf TS blade gives a more precise cut than the bandsaw jigs I have made. (which should let you know that I've made more than one before settling on this one, which I haven't used in a couple of years). Bandsaw blades tend to deflect when cutting. I tend to jump in with both feet and figure out a way to do something then store it away knowing that I have the technology and can pull it out when needed.

I hear ya when you refer to the effort needed to DIY it vs buying a jig. I just don't know if I've ever seen a commercially built segmenting jig. It usually takes a few days to design, build, test, modify, rinse and repeat.
Thanks. I did start with a table saw but then received my first (and last) kick back from it so I switched to a band saw.

ramaroodle

Thanks. I did start with a table saw but then received my first (and last) kick back from it so I switched to a band saw.
Question is, was there a riving knife on that saw when it happened? Those are the only time(s) I've had a kickback.

Like someone above just said, those jigs are usually built specifically for YOUR machines, be it band or table saw. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it requires that you build them yourself, but that's half the fun. For me, the successful jig build is as, if not more satisfying that the resulting project.

Last edited:

KenB259

My opinion, it doesn't sound like you are very experienced with woodworking tools, not cutting you down, we all had to learn. Kickbacks usually happen because someone is not operating the saw correctly. Is there a woodworking group near you that would allow you to gain some experience and confidence? Segmenting very small pieces of wood is not the place to start.

jttheclockman

Another reason for a sled jig with hold down clamps. Remember you are dealing with very small pieces of material so safety is paramount. This is why we build jigs to make things safe and for the repeatability of their actions. All this comes to light when you dive more into this. It is not all black and white.

PENfinity

PENfinity

My opinion, it doesn't sound like you are very experienced with woodworking tools, not cutting you down, we all had to learn. Kickbacks usually happen because someone is not operating the saw correctly. Is there a woodworking group near you that would allow you to gain some experience and confidence? Segmenting very small pieces of wood is not the place to start.
Yes there is. Thank you for your input.

jttheclockman

ramaroodle

Looking at all of the "commercial" jigs mentioned for sale I don't really see any of them being workable for "our" purposes. It would seemingly take just as long to modify any of them I had to pay for to suit my purpose as it would to build one from scratch with stuff laying around in the shop. Some of them are $200! My cost was $0. The ones made DIY are "purpose" built for one purpose...segmenting pens, but useless for almost anything else.

PENfinity

Looking at all of the "commercial" jigs mentioned for sale I don't really see any of them being workable for "our" purposes. It would seemingly take just as long to modify any of them I had to pay for to suit my purpose as it would to build one from scratch with stuff laying around in the shop. Some of them are $200! My cost was $0.
I'm glad it worked out for you. As the old saying goes... "You got time or you got money". I unfortunately do not have the time.

ramaroodle

I'm glad it worked out for you. As the old saying goes... "You got time or you got money". I unfortunately do not have the time.
Understood, YMMV but I think it would take you just as long or longer to modify a commercial jig as it would to just build one from scratch. The two that I posted are both made up of only 5 or 6 pieces of pre-cut wood. If you look at the top one and eliminate the thin-cut maker on the right it's only a small sled, 2 clamps, and 2 pre-cut pieces of wood. (one cut at 45 degrees and one at 60 degrees). #1 is the only moveable part. #2 is permanently screwed to the sled and you don't need the blue track I have on there. Probably about 2 hrs work. It's gonna take you at least that long to make your first segmented pen (after 2 or 3 failures) as there is going to be a learning curve when it comes to actually making the pens.

Capture32.PNG

Last edited:

PENfinity

Understood, YMMV but I think it would take you just as long or longer to modify a commercial jig as it would to just build one from scratch. The two that I posted are both made up of only 5 or 6 pieces of pre-cut wood. If you look at the top one and eliminate the thin-cut maker on the right it's only a small sled, 2 clamps, and 2 pre-cut pieces of wood. (one cut at 45 degrees and one at 60 degrees). #1 is the only moveable part. #2 is permanently screwed to the sled and you don't need the blue track I have on there. Probably about 2 hrs work. It's gonna take you at least that long to make your first segmented pen (after 2 or 3 failures) as there is going to be a learning curve when it comes to actually making the pens.

View attachment 348376
Not sure what YMMV means but I am going to continue to keep practicing. I appreciate all of the support.

Top Bottom