Is your sierra-style pen trying to crack itself?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Given that we have a rounded top on the sierra twist (and all the other "look-alikes"),
when you try to press that top into the brass tube for the body you have turned, it
tends to want to "c0ck" and crack your body blank.

(Jeff's software did not like the word in quotations, so we needed to deform it)
With this simple jig I fashioned a couple days ago, that problem is overcome.

You can see it in action here

Comments welcome and please subscribe to that channel, I only need another 30 some!!
Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This is basically for those who do not use a pen press. Most pen presses have a indentation in the plastic to except that round portion of the cap or the nib.

JohnU

I use a pen press but I need to drill the hole in the press deeper and larger. The round cap currently sits in it but is still able to pivot side to side because it's not deep or larger enough to get past the round cap and down to the shaft.

Woodchipper

Ed, good idea and thanks for sharing. I think I have some Sierra kits. Will check and make the part as described.
I'm told the blueprints in the auto industry are marked: Hammer to fit, paint to match.

egnald

Hi Ed, well, I made one already from a piece of HDPE rod, so of course I had to start building a Sierra style pen to check it out with using one of your Prism & Gold kits and part of a Diamond Cast Oil Slick cutoff that I had on hand. The fit seems perfect with the 31/64 hole.

I too use a pen press and mine (PSI Assembly/Disassembly Press) does have a cone shaped hole/indentation on the plastic end, but I have since turned HDPE covers with flat faces for both it and for the other end (a piece of aluminum rod), so your Sierra style pressing sleeve should work just great! - Dave

d_bondi

I press between centers and the one side does have the small cone shaped indentation, but I will also be making one of these.

egnald

I press between centers and the one side does have the small cone shaped indentation, but I will also be making one of these.
I found that the cone shaped indentation on my PSI Press was occasionally leaving some kind of stress marks in the plating on some of the tips after they were pressed with it. That's the main reason I made the cover with a flat face to slide over it. - Dave

d_bondi

I found that the cone shaped indentation on my PSI Press was occasionally leaving some kind of stress marks in the plating on some of the tips after they were pressed with it. That's the main reason I made the cover with a flat face to slide over it. - Dave
Good idea Dave.

I have some 1/8" thick rubber gasket material and have a few squares if it with my between centers press parts and use that when I'm concerned about potentially damaging the plating.

Top Bottom