Is this Normal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fritzmccorkle

i've noticed lately that i have several turning tools. Maybe more than i had realized as i found two tools that i own doubles of the same tool. when i was turning only pens i primarily used three small tools, but now that i turn bowls i'm using more tools, although primarily two gouges and two scrapers. anyway, i was just wondering if this assortment was typical of what others have or is this as crazy at i think it is. (note...i forgot to include sorby 5 piece micro tools in the pic. darn!)
tn_DSCN1543-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

For us who can't buy tools,,, it is not normal LOL. But even with low budget folks like me, I do find some duplicate tools too [B)]

So I guess it is normal [}:)]

chisel

Two words...Treatment Center.

And no, that is not a new type of live center for your lathe. [:(!][:p]

fritzmccorkle

hahahaha, after posting this i realized it would soon turn into one of those "send it to me" deals. hahahaha,
Dario, i hardly ever talk to someone who knows what a stubby even is.

DocStram

Hey Fritz .... I think I counted 29 in your picture. Have you seen the poll titled "How Many Do You Have?" You might be interested in comparing how many you have with other member's responses.

I think we want to hear about your Stubby. How long have you had it? What's the biggest bowl you've turned on it? Any pictures?

Gary Max

To funny Fritz---I just got done paying for 2 more tools I just bought off ebay----1 1/2 Skew and a parting tool.
It's getting so bad around here that I am now getting tools custom made at a machine shop also. You ought to see the monster vases I have been turning---hehehehe

What is your definition of "normal", then you have to define the word "is". ALas for an addict there is never enough. BTW, for this less educated individual, what's a stubby?

Dario

Fritz, That tells me you hang around penturners almost exclusively. That just sound wrong for someone who owns a Stubby [}:)] LOL. I am with Al...show us some pics!

PastorBill, Stubby is a well known BOWL lathe with amazing versatility. As you can see, it can have the bed but you can totally take it off (in some models) and have a swing as far as the floor [:0].

Thank you, I have not done much bowl turning but my wallet probably says, there will be no stubby or anything else in the near future. BTW I have warned you guys to be careful picking on me, I have more on my side than just me. [:D]

fritzmccorkle

i didn't count them up. a few are benjamin's best, one is a crown "elsworth gouge", one is unique tool, but the rest are sorby. As Dario said it's primarily a bowl turning lathe. i can turn up to 32 inches long i believe, but the bed rails and there is an auxiliary bed rail you can attatch to get the banjo in different positions. if i extend the rails i can turn a 30 inch diameter piece and still use the tail stock. i bought it this past spring so i havn't worn it out yet (like gary max who turns huge stuff constantly hahaha). i'll take a few more pics. i have several bowls that are rough turned and in progress. biggest stuff i've turned so far was 12 inches but there are some smaller bowls in my album.

Rifleman1776

I think it is perfectly normal. I had at least that many. Just packed up a bunch, about eight, and sent to a friend who lives in a remote location on another continent where it is hard to obtain things. In numbers, most of my acquisitions were garage sale stuff.

Skye

I dont think anything is normal about a man with a name like Fritz McCorkle. His deals are right on though! (making another order when I get home today!)

GregMuller

I believe this problem is an offshoot of TES known as TCS, Tool Collection Syndrom.(See previous post)If TCS is a problem for you I am prepared to counsel you to move past the problem As I am a certified TCS counseler. First you must send me all of the tools so I can review them to prepare for our first counseling session. PM me for an address to send them too.

vick

Your tool pile is a little bigger than mine but not to much. The really sad thing is if you asked me what tools I have I could not tell you it seems I use about 10 of them regularly and the rest very occasionally.
Lately I have just been doing bowls and I only use 3 of my tools. The rest of the pile is getting jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom