Is this blank useable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

naynay

Always grateful for a freebie and it's cocobolo by looking at the crack down the length of the blank. Is this blank useable to turn a pen with? I know quite a bit of wood will be turned off. Wanted to make a cigar pen from it.

Attachments

• 8E1BF226-FFF8-4DC5-B55D-975548DE1AEA.jpeg
    8E1BF226-FFF8-4DC5-B55D-975548DE1AEA.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 263
  • AAE5BF9C-1D5C-4B6F-92B1-35BE3671E82B.jpeg
    AAE5BF9C-1D5C-4B6F-92B1-35BE3671E82B.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

If that's the wide part of the crack you should be able to - I would be tempted to trim the cracked portion off to keep it from flying then you will know for sure if it will work

Sly Dog

I'd agree, by the looks of it, but would probably drizzle some CA in the crack for insurance. You'll know more after you drill and see where the crack is in relation to the bushings or outside diameter. Good luck!

Texas Taco

I think it's turnable. It might take some creative positioning and some CA glue. It appears to have plenty size and length to give you at least one blank, maybe more.

naynay

It's 5" long and standard 3/4" by 3/4". I figure as much wood comes off to get I round the crack would be a non issue.

naynay

Thank you. My friend gave me a mask to wear for the B/w ebony but I admit I didn't wear it. I will start wearing a mask.

ramaroodle

P.S. I wouldn't try anything fancy like knots or segments but with some CA before and after drilling it should be OK.

magpens

That blank looks very usable to me. . The crack seems fairly close to one side and the crack does not go very deep. . I don't think you have any worries.

As Russ said above, "drizzle some CA in the crack ". . Use the thinnest CA you can get. . Even if the CA does not bond well to the Cocobolo, it will help keep things together while you are rounding the blank. . You may even turn most of the crack off when rounding.

GaryMGg

Crack goes from end to end
This was clear in the picture however not what I'm asking.
Put another way: what does the blank measure from the crack to the useable edge.

If the blank is large enough without the cracked portion, I'd cut the cracked portion off, drill in the center of the solid portion and build my pen from this. A finished cigar is about 9/16" +/-.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Me... Its an experiment!!! Turn on end, drizzle thin CA - NO accelaterator. Let dry on its own. Reapply as the Thin CA wicks down. Reapply as many times without acelerentan
Always grateful for a freebie and it's cocobolo by looking at the crack down the length of the blank. Is this blank useable to turn a pen with? I know quite a bit of wood will be turned off. Wanted to make a cigar pen from it.

Shoot... A crack is just a sidewise segment. :p. Turn it, worst it can be is a lost blank. Have fun!

Thank you. My friend gave me a mask to wear for the B/w ebony but I admit I didn't wear it. I will start wearing a mask.

Just a word of advice and my honest opinion. If you want to keep your sinuses clear and your lungs clean you should always wear a mask. I used to use a lot of oak for furniture and didn't use a respirator and recently began getting a sensitivity to it. I now wear a trend pro when I'm in the shop working on wood all the time.

mecompco

Cocobolo can be really nasty--I won't have it in the shop any longer, which is a shame. I agree, that blank looks pretty good-sized--trim off the part with the large crack. You might get some thin CA to seep into the smaller crack to stabilize it while it's turned off.

sbwertz

stabilize it with a little thin CA to keep it from coming apart when you knock the corners off. The cracked portion should turn off as you turn the pen.

Woodchipper

remember to use a mask as cocobolo is toxic.
Now you tell me. I wear a mask unser my full face shield when turning or my wife will get nasty if she catches me without it.
Topic- Use a fine needle to let thin CA flow into the crack. I do this when I square blanks and see the CA leaves a space between the tube and wood. Put the needle into the space and let a drop of CA flow down into the crack.

Top Bottom