Is This a Good Vacuum Pot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LK&T

When answering this question, pretend like you're speaking to someone who has no experience with resin vacuum systems. My main goal here will be stabilizing wood for pen blanks and knife handles, with the possibility of making pen blanks down the road. So, thoughts from the IAP universe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandy

I saw this sale as well. I was wondering if the pump they have is good. It is small but looks like it's all you would need

LK&T

I saw this sale as well. I was wondering if the pump they have is good. It is small but looks like it's all you would need
Which pump are you looking at? The product looks like it's just the pot and a couple things used with the pot. I assumed you need some sort of device to create vacuum and an air compressor in addition to the pot.

Brandy

Which pump are you looking at? The product looks like it's just the pot and a couple things used with the pot. I assumed you need some sort of device to create vacuum and an air compressor in addition to the pot.

They have this vacuum generator that I think is used with the pot

TDahl

I have only used the Harbor Freight Pressure Pot /Vacuum chamber combo (see the tutorials in the IAP library) and have had much success with it.

ccccchunt

This pot will absolutely work for stabilizing pen blanks etc. Since this is only the pot, you will need to find a good vacuum pump. From my experience (limited) you need to have a pump that can remain running for hours at a time. My last batch of blanks took 5 hours with pump running for the bubbles to stop coming out. The addition of the tempered glass top is a MUST. My plastic lid shattered after the 3rd round of stabilization. I have a glass lid now and wish I had started out with it.
I do not see a gauge included with this kit. You will need a gauge to monitor your vacuum in order to stabilize properly.

Just my comments. I started ordering and stabilizing last month so if you have any questions, you can probably learn from my mistakes!!

ccccchunt

They have this vacuum generator that I think is used with the pot
I looked at this also. But you need to be running your air compressor in order to maintain the vacuum. I personally didn't want my air compressor running for 5+ hours at a time. My vacuum pump is much quieter.

Brandy

I looked at this also. But you need to be running your air compressor in order to maintain the vacuum. I personally didn't want my air compressor running for 5+ hours at a time. My vacuum pump is much quieter.
Which pump do you have?

PatrickR

Take a look at Best Value Vacs (with glass lid) on Amazon. I would find that square top annoying/clumsy. Don’t skimp on a vacuum pump. I got the one that is recommended on the CJ site from Zoro, They run % off sales, so you can get a deal if you buy at the right time. Buy the vac oil by the gallon, you need to change it a lot to keep the pump in good shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LK&T

Thanks for all the replies folks. With the pot, vacuum generator and having to buy a compressor, that's more play money than I have at the moment. Just got excited by a good deal. And honestly, I need to do some research on the subject before I jump in.

Old Hilly

WOW! as we say down here, "cheap as chips"! With all the penetrations through the side rather than the glass lid the lid should be really strong. If only the freight down here to Oz wasn't so expensive!

Rodney W

Must be something in the air. I'm looking at a wood stabilizing setup too. I'm probably going this route.
https://www.amazon.com/BACOENG-Stai...ords=bacoeng+vacuum+pot&qid=1614562687&sr=8-8 I see a lot of Youtubers using the Bacoeng pots, so I figure they must work ok.
And for the pump, this one. It was recommended as the best cheap pump by Cactus Juice. If it breaks, I'll upgrade to the USA made one then.
I want the 5 gallon pot because I plan to do larger pieces for my cane handles.

johnjohnson42

You definitely don’t want your air compressor creating a vacuum... invest in a good pump. I stabilized a large cherry burl in a similar vacuum chamber a few months ago... took three days for the bubbles to stop. I can’t imagine running any air compressor that long.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom