Is there any interest for Pheasant wood pen blanks...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day folks,

Today (yesterday my time) I had a bloke that emailed a couple of pics and asked if I was interested in some pieces, he was referring to Pheasant wood that he scored somewhere in sticks about 2' long x about 40mm wide and 20mm thick. He cut them at 130x40x20mm as he also turns pens and is a customer of mine so, the only thing needed to do with these pieces is rip them in half with a thin kurf blade that I have for my bandsaw (less than 1mm).

I only ever had a couple of blanks from this wood that I got from swaps here on IAP, the wood is just beautiful so I couldn't resist and ordered a few that I should get next week or end of this week, will see...!

So my question to you friends is, would you be interested in buying some of these...? I'm not 100% sure how many of these pieces I will get, I ask if I could get all them in the pic and he then showed me a wrapped package weighing nearly 5kg, I'm also still waiting to know how much the shipping will be before I can work the prices but I can guarantee to you that I will be as fair as always...!

There will be insufficient quantities for me to put on my Timbers List so, it will be another one of those that, I will share while I've got some but they won't last long, maybe...! ;)

Let me know if interested.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 301
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 330
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    253 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day peoples,

Just to let you guys and gals know that the Pheasant wood has arrived today, I already changed my bandsaw blade to a thin kurf one and adjusted the fence to start ripping the 40mm pieces into 2 x 20mm the sizes are a bit irregular but not by much, however, I have to sand all 4 faces to clean the wood out and get a more natural colour and some pieces have darkened from overtime exposure to light/air so, I may endup with blanks between 19 to 18mm square, I may consider to round some of the better grade ones but that will only increase the cost by AU$1.00 per blank.

I have 2 choices with the grading of these blanks/wood, there are areas of this wood that are either single colour dark or light if I select only the A1 grade and price them higher I still will endup with many blanks that are solid (the whole wood is very solid) but with less interesting character that I will price lower or I go for option 2 and mix the all randomly in packs of 4 blanks for a medium sale price.

I'm not going to mention the prices if I sell in different grades but I can tell you that the lowest price will be AU$2 per blank.

I'm also open to the possibility to have some of the highest grade rounded at approx. 18mm diameter if anyone makes that request, in that case, blanks will be sold individually for your selection as I did with the latest Olive wood and Olive Root burl.

What are your thoughts...?

Cheers
George

robutacion

OK folks, I got them ready.

Just a few changes to my initial options based on the fact that going through the wood I found it very difficult to select any blanks that stand up a lot more than the rest, maybe a couple or so but I also seen from some that I turned round 042.JPG ending up at 19mm diameter that, this wood changes in almost every inch and is built of layers that are perfectly visible on the end grain 044.JPG so, it changes depending on which thickness/layer you endup at so I waxed one face and then spread them so that I could get identical packs.

The issue with the ones that I sanded the 4 faces is that I started at 20mm and I endup at just under 18mm 005.JPG trying to remove the dark/dirty wood surfaces as these sticks had had some use some time ago so, they darkened significantly as you can see from this pic 002.JPG
these are all approx. 20mm square and that brought me to a question, I'm losing over 2mm square cleaning them up that can make a difference to some folks so based on all the information provided above I would like to offer the following;

*- Unsanded blanks (20x20x approx.130) packs of 4 blanks - price AU$6.00 - pack weight approx. 180gr

*- Sanded (17.5x17.5x approx 130mm) packs of 4 blanks - price AU$8.00 - pack weight approx. 150gr

*- Rounded not waxed at 19mm diameter packs of 4 blanks - price AU$ 10.00 - pack weight approx. 120gr

This first lot is made out of the shorter pieces cut by the supplier that I showed you on my original post, they are between 125 and 135mm long.

To make things easier for you guys when it comes to getting the most advantage out of the shipping charges I have worked out the following;

*- Large padded envelope weighs 20gr. in it I can fit 4 packs of blanks for 500gr, charge (AU$17.00) depending on what they are, looking at the packs weights round blanks are the only ones that I can put 4 packs for a 500gr package, for the sanded packs it can take 3 packs easy. for the unsanded packs I may have to take some square corners to adjust the weight to stay withing 500gr otherwise it will go to the next charge which is 1kg at AU$30.70 but for that, I will need to use a small cardboard box for 150gr from here you can work out what you would like to order.

I apologise if my attempt to give you as much info as possible made it confusing so, read it a couple of times if necessary to sink in...! ;)

Unsanded blanks/packs are picked randomly, round blanks I have a few done just in case if you are not comfortable with me picking them randomly let me know here and I will make a few packs and take pics of each pack for you to select.

I will open now a sale thread for the sanded packs, I have 25 packs done but I can process more if necessary.

I will also link here the sale link.

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom