Is There a Pulse?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I personally haven't turned on my lathe in almost 3 years. But I'm happy to get together again, just for fun.

Anyone want to host a gathering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ldubia

Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump. (pulsing here.)

I will host if anyone is interested in coming into the Santa Cruz mountains. Driving on these roads scares people away. When are we thinking? Hosting will give me an excuse to clean up in there.

I haven't turned anything on my lathe since yesterday.

Last edited:

nava1uni

Get together

I would like to get together and I am willing to travel. For me it would have to be in a few weeks. I have had unexpected spinal surgery and I am recovering each day, but still do not have permission to bend, twist, drive, etc, but go to the MD in two weeks and will get further instruction.
I would be willing to host it even though my space is small. It means crossing a bridge to get here.
Let's see where this goes.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It will be a couple of weeks for me, too. I'm out of town until the 24th.

I know M/M Brooks are also out of town a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dieseldoc

We can host get together at our house in Livermore in mid October 13th or 20 on a Saturday .

Also can have play time in the shop.

Cheers

Charlie
AKA dieseldoc

Last edited:

darcisowers

sounds like a plan!! I am up for a meeting in Oct too (since we are booked thru end of Sept already!!), and I also put the idea out to andy to possibly host here (San Jose). We could make BBQ.

Dick Mahany

Hi folks, I just saw this thread. It's been probably 5 years since my first (and only) attendance at Greg's house where I showed a lathe turned box threader . That was a very fun meeting and I wished I could have attended more. Shortly after that meeting I decided to retire early, leave silicon valley and move to Palm Springs. After almost 3 years I finally have the new house finally done and am just now starting to turn again. Man did I miss turning and having a shop. I hope you are all doing well and ready to have some fun!

Larry........thank you for giving me that pine cone blank at the meeting, I had it 85% done and then blew it up. It would have been cool had it turned out!

Jim Campbell

I am good for October, and am good at which-ever location is voted on.

Even Larry's. I'll drive my Audi. That should scare the roads...………. or at least everyone else who is on the road.

Dieseldoc

Sounds like Oct will work for most of us. So lets do Oct 20th and I will do a BBQ with Hot dogs both beef and turkey with all the trimmings.

Need to confirm and what you might bring to for food to add to BBQ

Going on vacation next week so I will get back to everyone on Sept 24th

Address Just off Hwy 84 South West Livermore
AKA dieseldoc
Charlie Gabriel
2097 Altair Ave
Livermore, ca 94550
cpgabriel@comcast.net

Cheers

Charlie

Last edited:

chicken

I'll know my work travel schedule a few weeks before the meeting. If I am in town I'll plan on attending and can bring pulled pork, ribs or a brisket if you want more meat. Hope everyone is doing well.

While it's not exactly pen turning, any thoughts of sharing ideas and samples of turned Christmas ornaments? I have been saving the bottom 12-18" of our Christmas tree for the last 7 years since our oldest son was born. Last year I made a few ornaments from the wood for the grandparents and they went over really well. I would like to see what other people have done and get some new ideas. Thanks

Dieseldoc

I'll know my work travel schedule a few weeks before the meeting. If I am in town I'll plan on attending and can bring pulled pork, ribs or a brisket if you want more meat. Hope everyone is doing well.

While it's not exactly pen turning, any thoughts of sharing ideas and samples of turned Christmas ornaments? I have been saving the bottom 12-18" of our Christmas tree for the last 7 years since our oldest son was born. Last year I made a few ornaments from the wood for the grandparents and they went over really well. I would like to see what other people have done and get some new ideas. Thanks

Chicken:

I have made and have a collection of Christmas ornaments for display along with some Bird house ornaments for you to check out. So hope other members might bring some also.

Cheers

Charlie

dkite726

I may (or may not) be on a work trip that weekend.... just waiting on parts to show... I will certainly come if I'm in town. I hadn't turned much the last 4-5 months, but was making a cradle for my grand daughter.... then redoing the kitchen cabinets... so it's not like I wasn't out in the shop! Finally turned 3 pens last week... was good to get back to the lathe...

Jim Campbell

I am available for the 20th. I can bring whatever. Let me know where there is a gap.

I may bring a few of the birdhouse ornaments I have been making for the boutique. They are nothin fancy, but they sell for $22.

I'm also trying to work out some ornaments made out of the miniature bowling pins seen at Michaels, etc. They will likely be in the $6 range, since Linda bought three bags of them at a thrift shop for $3. I may bring some of the work-in-progress.

Let me know what's needed for food.

Bob in SF

Sorry to miss this meeting!

Warm regards to all No.Cal and CentralCal forum members.

Hoping to make it to the next meeting.

Gratefully, Bob

ldubia

The Santa Cruz Woodturners Association president will not be at our next meeting. So as VP, I have to run the meeting which happens on the same day. Unfortunately I will not make this one again. I was really looking forward to it too. Let's not wait to long for the next one. I miss seeing everyone at these get togethers.

KitZ

Meetup on October 20

I will try to make it this time. I haven't turned regularly in a couple of years and could use some encouragement/advice to get back going.

Also I have "issues" with my Jet 1014 tailstock. ( lost a set screw but it was behaving hinky before that):angry:

I'm hoping someone can take a look at it and tell me it's a simple fix.

Dieseldoc

I will try to make it this time. I haven't turned regularly in a couple of years and could use some encouragement/advice to get back going.

Also I have "issues" with my Jet 1014 tailstock. ( lost a set screw but it was behaving hinky before that):angry:

I'm hoping someone can take a look at it and tell me it's a simple fix.

Bring the Tail stock and I'm sure we will have someone of show you a fix.

Charlie

BMellber

October 20th meeting

Sorry the 20th is overbooked for me with a show in Walnut Creek all day. Have a fun day in Livermore. Perhaps the group can discuss a future date for another meeting after the holidays. Best wishes to you all! Bill

Dieseldoc

Sorry the 20th is overbooked for me with a show in Walnut Creek all day. Have a fun day in Livermore. Perhaps the group can discuss a future date for another meeting after the holidays. Best wishes to you all! Bill

Bill:

I think that having a get together in the spring would be great, I will find out from those who show up what the thinking is.

Cheers

Charlie

Dieseldoc

is there a Pulse

Yes there is a Pulse.
Hosting on Oct 20 together in Livermore. which I will do a Hot dog with all the trimming BBQ

Set up at 1030AM ,any time after that wold be fine.

So far Fruit Salad Navalumi Cindy
Potato Salad Template Frank
Desert darcisower Abigail
Munchies, chips?? Jim Campbell
Smoked ribs ,maybe Chicken MAYBE will make it?????

So let me know who is coming, Look forward seeing everyone.

AKA dieseldoc
Charlie Gabriel
2097 Altair Ave
Livermore, ca 94550

boatemp

I'll bring plastic ware, potato salad. Let me know what else you need. I can bring whatever fits in my saddlebags.
Frank

chicken

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it. I was in half moon bay on Friday of last week and was helping the wife lift a pumpkin at an odd angle and heard a loud pop in my arm followed by some seriously bad pain. I got into a Orthopedic surgeon yesterday and he did an x-ray and did not see anything but from where I have pain and how my bicep has moved towards my elbow he thinks I tore one of the two tendons that attach my bicep to my shoulder. I have an MRI early next week to confirm and if its the case I have to have surgery in the next week or so to repair the tear and fix any rotator cuff damage that happened as well. :( So this is my last weekend with a half functioning arm until January most likely so I need to get a few things done around the house before I am in a sling and cannot use the arm until 2019. It sucks getting old. Have a great time and hopefully I can make the next meeting.

nava1uni

thank you

Charlie,
Thank you to you and Gail for hosting todays event. It was lovely to meet both of you and to see your shop. Thank you for sharing your segmenting of pens, casting and making custom made pens.
Cindy

MartinPens

Sorry I completely missed this meeting. I just haven't been connected to IAP much and it flew under my radar. I need to figure out notifications on my phone when something is posted to this group. Greg has a post about this and I'm going there to read it through.... again. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom