Is there a pen turners group in Ontario Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

We tried to start an IAP chapter before, but with little success.

I think one of the biggest problems is distance. While I wouldn't mind driving to Toronto for a meeting, it's a 3-4 hour drive for me. Guys coming from Ottawa would easily add another hour and a half to that. I would only do it maybe once or twice a year. For some that also means accomodations. It starts to become a very intensive organizational excercise.

For a good club to develop, it would require regular meetings and get togethers, at least once per month.
A corp group of individuals to organize meeting and a place to have it. It doesn't have to be very formal, especially in the beginning, but it does have to be consistant. Even if its just in a diner, with everyone sitting around discussing their projects, pen issues and maybe a little show and tell. If its consistant,
guys will be able to plan for it, and will start looking forward to it each month.

If a group like this formed up, while I wouldn't be able to be a regular member, I would love to be a satelite/associate member and come down once or twice a year.

wood-of-1kind

The closest that we came to forming a club was to attend the monthly wood turner's meetings by Humber College (Toronto/Rexdale). But it has been a while since I attended a meeting. On a personal basis, my workshop has always been open to pen turners that may require help/advice in the Toronto region.

Top Bottom