Is "Signature" an Accepted Name for a Wood Species ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have a few wood blanks in my stash marked "Signature" in pencil right on the wood. . This is not a company-printed "supplier" label.
I cannot remember who I got the blanks from. . It was not I that wrote the name directly onto the wood. . Or, if you prefer, it was not me !!

Also, this definitely does not refer to a former pen-making supply company named Signature Pen Supply.

I am quite sure that the name "Signature" is intended to identify a wood species, but Google does not seem to acknowledge the name as such.
The blanks I have show some spalting with color shades ranging from dark orange to brown. . The wood is of medium to low hardness but is not soft.
The blanks are fairly attractive, but not outstandingly so. . The wood has a characteristic smell, which is somewhat "musty".

If you are familiar with a wood of this name, please let me know, and, if possible, suggest an alternate name by which the wood is known. . Thanks.

Sorry for not including a picture. . My camera battery died a few days ago and I cannot find the charger.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

There is a company called signature woods and they use old resurfaced woods for many things and maybe this is the wood company.

1080Wayne

There is another source of info you may not be aware of , probably because you`ve only been around for 10 years . Do your pieces look as good as these , Mal ?
https://www.penturners.org/threads/mr-anonymous-game-25-20-06-2015.133237/#post-1776825 (Earliest reference May 3 , 2010)

Think these answer your questions . Have misplaced my piece of it . You may owe me your best piece or two .

magpens

@1080Wayne

Thanks very much !!!!! .... I have to "study into" the references you so kindly provided !! . . I'll get back to you !

mrburls

Hi Mal, There is a wood from Hawaii called "Signature" which is some type of spalted wood.
It is a beautiful wood turned and finished on a pen. I've done a few myself.
I believe there was a gentleman named Joel that use to sell it on eBay.
Keith

PaulWitmer

Mal:

Signature is a Hawaiian wood, also called the Autograph tree as you can write on the leaves and the wording stays on the leaves. Signature is generally spalted and can be tricky to turn unless you get it stabilized. It does make great looking turned items though.

Paul

magpens

@mrburls @PaulWitmer

Thanks to both of you for your info .... Autograph tree .... Signature wood .... quite appropriate/consistent naming, eh ?

I'll collect a bit more info and do a bit of my own research and get back here. . I do appreciate the info provided by members so far !

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
When I worked through the IAP Estate Blank Fundriser (0ver 5,000 blanks; 100+ species), there was NO label for a 'Signature Wood.'

I suspect some of the above comments may be closer to the truth.

magpens

@darrin1200

If possible, Darrin, could you please send me a reference link to the picture you are referring to.

Some pics referenced by others above are quite different from the wood than I have in mind and which has been marked as "Signature".

magpens

The info presented here in response to my request has been very helpful.
Thanks to all who contributed. . :D

I have not found anything more to add. .

darrin1200

@darrin1200

If possible, Darrin, could you please send me a reference link to the picture you are referring to.

Some pics referenced by others above are quite different from the wood than I have in mind and which has been marked as "Signature".

Hey Mal. I tried going back in my history, but could only find a couple of the pictures. This is one of them. Spalted Autograph Tree
1614703060810.png

magpens

@darrin1200

Thanks, Darrin.

Several of the pieces in your picture are very similar to what I have.
In any case, it has been adequately confirmed that "Signature" is indeed an accepted name for a wood species.
That is really all I wanted as an objective in starting this thread.

Top Bottom