Is its just me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dusty

I know I am pretty old and set in my ways, but I received a new catalog today from Penn State Ind. and browsing through I was thinking that a lot of the kits they are offering are just plain ugly. I am wondering how popular some of them are? I have to admit I am not a big fan of the Bolt Action kits although I know some people are. But some of them like their Steampump, and semi automatic Rifle kits to me are not appealing. I don't make any pens to sell, only make them to give to friends and relatives, or for myself. Do any of you use these kits I mentioned?
Dusty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I agree that many of the new "themed" kits are a bit garish and border on childish. I don't mind classic decorated pens like the Majestic, Art Deco or Nouveau Sceptor, but the Tank, Grenade, Bolts and other similar 'toys', turn me off. Woodturningz has its share of them as well with the Train, Scuba and Pirate, among others.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If no one uses them, PSI will discontinue them in less than a year.

When I sold pens at shows, the most common question was, "What's new?"
PSI introduces about one new pen kit per month--so if you are selling pens, you can show a customer a handful of new designs every time you see them (usually at holiday shows). As the pen maker, you don't have to like them, evaluate them for functionality!

EricRN

I stick to relatively plain kits, jr gents, Bella twists, mistrals, and siroccos. I'm not a fan of very gaudy ornamentation. I'd rather the blank and the craftsmanship shine.

monophoto

I have to admit I am not a big fan of the Bolt Action kits although I know some people are. But some of them like their Steampump, and semi automatic Rifle kits to me are not appealing.

Agree completely. I prefer the simple, non-thematic designs. Unfortunately, I know that others disagree.

egnald

I have made a few (very few) of the kits with a theme, but for the most part I prefer Jr. Gent, Cigar, Euro, Sierra/Gatsby and Slimline. I think the Bolts are Ok and the occasional Princess, and of course the expensive Majestic types, but anything very ornate not so much. (I haven't seen many of the themed pens posted on IAP either.)

Dave

KenB259

The themed ones don't grab me. I'm pretty much to the point now though that I only do segmented work. That's what keeps and holds my interest. So I'm drawn to the more plain, less gaudy pens.

Gotta agree with the other posts. I do make the bolt actions because people love them. Personally, I don't care for them. I've bought some of the "themed" kits, and to be very honest, find them kind of gaudy and not something I'd ever want or use. I made my wife one of the Princess pens (for obvious reasons) but you almost needed to be a weight lifter to use it. It's a very heavy pen and seems like you need to have big hands to really appreciate it. I'm more in the area of what I think are "Classics", older style pens. I have found that people really like the Graduate, Designer, Trimline, Classic, Oxford and Cosmopolitan. The others I've had good luck with is the Comfort pen. Until Covid I was selling 10-15 a month to one customer, along with a lot of other stuff. Haven't had an order since March as Hawaii is totally shut down.

jttheclockman

I am not a theme pen kit guy either and PSI has nothing but gaudy kits. The only kit I buy from them is the Majestic series because to me it is the best highend kit and does well in my line of blank making. The only themed kits I bought and got them from woodcraft were the fireman kits for a couple fireman friends I have. I also bought a couple gear pen kits for a auto mechanic friend. Just not big into all the rifle, grenade, and tank kits. Not a hunter and know very few. I at one time when I first got into pen making made some bullet casing pens from real casings and bullets. Sold a few back then. I throw their catalog out right away when I get it. Do not even look through it. If I see a kit someone else posts here that I have not tried and strikes my interest I will ask where it can be had. Other than that I have my usual kits I like. Love the Dayacom line of kits. Wish they were more readily available and a tad cheaper.

Hubert H

We don't have to like them. The question is: do the people we make pens for like them? A third, or maybe a little more of my request are for the themed kits.

jttheclockman

We don't have to like them. The question is: do the people we make pens for like them? A third, or maybe a little more of my request are for the themed kits.
I know myself I have to love the kit I am working on and that is what I offer my clients. That is where the artform starts in my mind. Just my opinion. I rather my blank carry the sale and possible have the kit enhance it. Those theme kits are all about the kit. Again my opinion.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know myself I have to love the kit I am working on and that is what I offer my clients. That is where the artform starts in my mind. Just my opinion. I rather my blank carry the sale and possible have the kit enhance it. Those theme kits are all about the kit. Again my opinion.

You know, John, that is me also. Thanks for the input.

sbwertz

I've made a couple of the nautical pens...I have both a husband and a grandson who are ship-happy! The southwest is popular here in AZ. It isn't really a "theme" pen, but has a southwest color scheme, so I make a few of them. Otherwise, just the basic pens. I mostly make pens as gifts, not to sell. I used to sell quite a few, but after I started working at the blind center, I just didn't have time. I have several teacher friends who like the double ended teacher pens. I'm really missing my time at the center! Some of my more advanced turners at the center have ordered kits for some of the fancy pens, and brought them to the center to turn. One made three of the steam pump pens....I agree, not one of my favorites...but she was very happy with them. She also made the razor set with razor, brush and stand.

A question on the razor kits....I used a CA/BLO finish on them because they get wet, and that is the only CA finish easy for my blind turners to do. What do you use as a finish on things that get wet?

Last edited:

Hubert H

I appreciate and respect how you feel and how you work. Most of my pens now are custom request. The last one a couple came with a dead apple branch from the farm a young lady grew up on. She just took her state boards and became a lawyer. They also picked out the type of pen they wanted. They wanted something special for her so they were able to chose the complete pen. This was the fourth custom pen they had me make. Just one more example: a guy came back from an African Safari with a porcupine quill. He ask to have it made into a pen - and so it goes. The customer often decides what I do.

Jans husband

I recently made a "fly fishing" pen for a friend. He messaged me to say thanks and that he would use it to record all the fish he caught in his book.

I remarked to him that it therefore didn't matter that I had omitted to tell him how to exchange the refill!!

Rick95602

For me, themed kits provide variety, a departure from the same-o/same-o. For buyers, they might appeal to a particular giftee they have in mind. For instance, a friend of mine is retired Navy/Naval Academy who spent a significant amount of time in a diving suit. I sent him the Scuba Kit pen. He was thrilled. Is it elegant? No, but it certainly was the right pen. If you only do Sierra type pens, where's your variety...in the blanks, of course. Anyway, if you're selling pens (which I did until every Craft Show I was going to got cancelled :mad:) you'll find that buyers like all sorts of "garish" kit pens. Just sayin':cool:đź––

jttheclockman

For me, themed kits provide variety, a departure from the same-o/same-o. For buyers, they might appeal to a particular giftee they have in mind. For instance, a friend of mine is retired Navy/Naval Academy who spent a significant amount of time in a diving suit. I sent him the Scuba Kit pen. He was thrilled. Is it elegant? No, but it certainly was the right pen. If you only do Sierra type pens, where's your variety...in the blanks, of course. Anyway, if you're selling pens (which I did until every Craft Show I was going to got cancelled :mad:) you'll find that buyers like all sorts of "garish" kit pens. Just sayin':cool:đź––
Just remember those type pens are not the best plating and usually are the ones that break the easiest so have your warranty spelled out too. But yes people like themes.

Gregf

I like the cat and dog pens. I can cast a blank with the pic of someones pet. Usually a remembrance pen.

MRDucks2

Of the themed pens I have sold or given away, they seem likely to end up being displayed somewhere rather than used. I'm not a big fan of them either, especially if they are either uncomfortable to hold or out of balance/top heavy. They takes most out of the running for me. But, hey, you want a frog themed scuba pen for your friend, I'll see what I can do.

Top Bottom